Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How well are those S2 Robots doing? — Parallax Forums

How well are those S2 Robots doing?

jaycee2ujaycee2u Posts: 6
edited 2010-12-26 10:48 in Robotics
I was wondering if the S2 Robots are meeting or exceeding expectations from those of you who have had a chance to experiment with them yet. I am undecided whether to buy an S2 or perhaps use a propeller proto board in place of the board of education in the Boe-Bot Robot Kit. I am anxious to read the responses to this thread.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-26 08:33
    Per Whit's recommendation, the S2's GUI (written by PhiPi, our Forum GUI-ru) is an impressive piece of work all in itself; quite flexible and fun to explore. My hunch is that S2 will have a big cult following by pros and noobs alike, and lots of people will be writing code for it. Probably much going on behind the scenes right now, maybe even some magazine articles! Nothing to stop you from modding a Boe-Bot, but considering the fact that the $100 S2 has built-in motor encoders, a hacker port, PhiPi's GUI, built-in rigidly mounted sensors, and it's ready to go seems to give it a clear advantage.

Recall that Fluke made an add-on board for the original BS2-based Scribbler that added a lot of potential: http://wiki.roboteducation.org/Myro_Hardware I'm sure that similar S2 add-ons will soon appear.

The wheel size and spacing are different between the two and you'll have a tough time mounting motor encoders on BoeBot servos, so no S2 nav routines will be much use to you. They're coming, believe me!

Besides, isn't it worth $100 just to see what all the buzz is about? Heck, that's just a week of formula and diapers for twins... oops, there I go again...
  • jaycee2ujaycee2u Posts: 6
    edited 2010-12-26 10:48
    erco wrote: »
    Per Whit's recommendation, the S2's GUI (written by PhiPi, our Forum GUI-ru) is an impressive piece of work all in itself; quite flexible and fun to explore. My hunch is that S2 will have a big cult following by pros and noobs alike, and lots of people will be writing code for it. Probably much going on behind the scenes right now, maybe even some magazine articles! Nothing to stop you from modding a Boe-Bot, but considering the fact that the $100 S2 has built-in motor encoders, a hacker port, PhiPi's GUI, built-in rigidly mounted sensors, and it's ready to go seems to give it a clear advantage.

Recall that Fluke made an add-on board for the original BS2-based Scribbler that added a lot of potential: http://wiki.roboteducation.org/Myro_Hardware I'm sure that similar S2 add-ons will soon appear.

The wheel size and spacing are different between the two and you'll have a tough time mounting motor encoders on BoeBot servos, so no S2 nav routines will be much use to you. They're coming, believe me!

Besides, isn't it worth $100 just to see what all the buzz is about? Heck, that's just a week of formula and diapers for twins... oops, there I go again...

Erco, Thank you for your reply. I'm a "noob" myself and I thank you for pointing out the features the S2 has to offer and problems associated with modifiying the Boe-Bot. And I agree, the $100 offers great value of education and entertainment as compared to diapers, formula, or a dinner out.