Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Pressure Switches to fill air cannon chamber — Parallax Forums

Using Pressure Switches to fill air cannon chamber

RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
edited 2010-12-28 19:00 in Accessories
I want to use a prop to control an air cannon. Using a tire inflater to pressurize the air chamber to about 100psi and triggering a solenoid valve to release. I want to use the pressure switch to turn off the inflater after it reaches 100psi.

I found these industrial pressure switches and was wondering if anyone has used them with a prop.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PSW-190&Nav=autc04

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-12-25 15:43
    If you use these switches to switch the electrical power to the compressor, is there any reason why you must interface to a Propeller? They are switches, I think, and not sensors that give a readout of pressure. Somehow you set the pressure on these switches, but it's not obvious to me how it's done.
    As for compression chambers and so forth, I hope you're not planning on using PVC pipe to store compressed air. When it fails, PVC pipe splinters really badly and therefore fails in a very dangerous way.
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2010-12-25 16:34
    If you use these switches to switch the electrical power to the compressor, is there any reason why you must interface to a Propeller? They are switches, I think, and not sensors that give a readout of pressure. Somehow you set the pressure on these switches, but it's not obvious to me how it's done.
    As for compression chambers and so forth, I hope you're not planning on using PVC pipe to store compressed air. When it fails, PVC pipe splinters really badly and therefore fails in a very dangerous way.
    I agree with ElectricAye on this. Are trying to see what pressure that is built up? If, you are doing that, then need to do it with a analog pressure sensor. As a former year round amusement park electricain, we used standard pressure switches to do type of job.
  • RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
    edited 2010-12-25 16:39
    Yeah, that was slowly creeping into my brain, that I probably could set-up a 12vdc circuit with the battery, compressor and switch sans prop.

Was planning on using pvc (hot water tank rated). The youtube videos I have seen have went up to 100 psi but what I want to build is this boom stick out of make magazine and he was maxing his at 60psi.
    http://makezine.com/13/boomstick/

From comments from the creator it sounds like he has had some blow out (up) problems also.
  • RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
    edited 2010-12-25 16:43
    I want it to turn on compressor when compressed air chamber is below 40PSI and off when pressure is >=40PSI.

Is there a cheaper alternative for doing this?

The B&D air compressor that I have actually has a settable gauge, but the only way to start it going again after reaching the set point
    is to flip the switch on and off.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-12-25 17:20
    Ragtop wrote: »
    From comments from the creator it sounds like he has had some blow out (up) problems also.

Just because something is rated at 140psi for household plumbing, does not mean that it can take the kinds of shocks they are subjecting it to (cyclic fatigue) and be safe with air pressure.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2010-12-25 17:59
    I guess the OSHA warning letter under the video was just a bunch of noise to be ignored. I see a Darwin award on the horizon.
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2010-12-28 19:00