Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
great earth circle (or similar) GPS - BS2-IC — Parallax Forums

great earth circle (or similar) GPS - BS2-IC

Arthur CampbellArthur Campbell Posts: 9
edited 2010-12-29 06:57 in BASIC Stamp
i am working on a project where i am using a gps & BS2-IC to trigger a couple of relays
when ever the device is near one of two gps positions

i normally use the great earth circle calculation in VB6

is there a suggested method, as i am concerned if the chip is capable of that level of math functions
and weather i can make the VB6 code work for the BS2-IC

the positions are fairly near 40 mi or so and not exact so a sudo/or similar calculation would work
its not that critical i just need to know if i am closer to one point or another. accuracy can be up 3 mi
miles in tolerance or more ... any help or source code would be appreciated ... arthur

Comments

• YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2010-12-21 06:44
    Hi,
    Quick question before I can say anything...
    Is the project would be a STAND ALONE? meaning, BS2 a GPS and some relays and nothing else,
    or will you use a PC(laptop or something to work with the math?) then hooked up to your BS2(GPS and Relays)?

Sounds like you're trying to port the VB6 programming (Math) to the BS2 and have the BS2 to work by itself)

If it is that case..hum... not sure if the BS2 will have enough mem to do all that!

Yosh
  • Arthur CampbellArthur Campbell Posts: 9
    edited 2010-12-28 14:28
    this is a project to make relays switch to correct position when the truck comes near the correct office
    it may also be used later to send tones out over a two-way radio to open the gate
    so the guys in field have one button to push to open gates at several job sites
  • Arthur CampbellArthur Campbell Posts: 9
    edited 2010-12-28 14:29
    so to answer your question stand alone is the preferred solution
    i also program in VB6 so thats why i mentioned it ...
  • YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2010-12-29 06:57
    Hi Arthur
    I checked a bit the calculation required, and after a while it jumped !

The required precision after the decimal, will be the killer. BS2 does not deal after the decimal.
    There might be a way around that, I don't know.

But looking at the precision required, I would bet the BS2 is not suitable for that.
    Hope some Paralax folks can itervene here, and guide you/advise you, for its possibility.

Cheers
    Yosh