SX28 Decoding IR Remote — Parallax Forums

SX28 Decoding IR Remote

PJAllenPJAllen BannedPosts: 5,065
edited 2010-12-20 22:47 in Robotics
xxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-19 16:39
    Great little remotes, I have several for projects. IR control is a great addition to any project. My only complaints:

1) IR output is low compared to a full-sized remote. Coin cell remotes can't put out 200 mA like those powered by a pair of AAA batteries, so you have to aim the remote directly at the device instead of bouncing it off walls & ceilings.
    2) Getting them into Sony mode without a Sony TV requires setting up a Stamp to monitor their output (watch for mute code 20 in DEBUG window)

Nice analysis of the output signal, PJ. Merry Merry!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-20 22:47
    OK PJ, you're my perfect foil here. I've been putting off an IR project since I have so little time to delve with our young twins. Clearly you are interested and up to a thorough technical investigation of another interesting universal IR remote. The challenge requires intellect; technical excellence; tenacity; and a fervent desire to push the envelope.

Are you up to it, old chap? :)

These Ebay China $5 learning remotes work quite well: http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Learning-Remote-Control-TV-VCR-SAT-DVD-/320432918569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9b4a5029 I have a few and they put out a very strong signal, stronger than some original remotes.

More and more, the cheap universal remotes using built-in codes just can't keep up with modern HDTV and A/V equipment; the codes keep changing. But these learning remotes can "learn" any codes from the manufacturer remotes. Clearly each key can record and play back some finite length IR coding.

I imagine they could also record serial IR output of some duration. That is, numbers, text, what have you. I don't know the ultimate application, but I'm intrigued that each key of a learning remote could send a unique serial message that could be decoded directly by a Stamp, Prop, or any other micro that's listening. You could have a word or phrase assigned to each key and send that string with a single keypress.

The key is the learning remote's sampling rate and memory allottment per button. That dictates the max baud rate and how much data can be transmitted per keypress.

I find this kind of stuff intriguing... is it just me?