Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS module (part 28146) communication problem — Parallax Forums

GPS module (part 28146) communication problem

jruthroffjruthroff Posts: 38
edited 2011-06-12 17:31 in Accessories
Hello all,

I'm attempting to run the demo program for the GPS module (part 28146) on a Stamps in Class board (USB version, revision D) with a BS2 stamp and PBasic language 2.5. The demo program (GPS DemoV1.1.BS2) I've downloaded from Parallax.

The connections seem pretty straighforward, the GND termial on the GPS goes to Vss on the board, the VCC terminal on the GPS goes to Vdd on the board, and SIO on the GPS unit goes to pin 15.

When I power-up the board, the DOWNLOAD PROGRESS window appears, and after scanning the ports I get a "COMMUNICATIONS ERROR...No BASIC Stamps found" error.

When I disconnect the either the ground or VCC jumper (i.e., when I take power off the GPS module), and rerun the program, the program downloads successfully. Of course it doesn't work since the GPS module has no power, but it does at least download and try to run (it reports, not surprisingly, "no respones from GPS receiver".

I'm probably misssing something very basic here, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-12-16 08:31
    Yes, very basic ... Your GPS module is probably drawing more current (115mA) than the Stamps in Class board can supply. The voltage regulator on the Board of Education (the board in the kit) is capable of providing over 1A, so it must be your power source. If you're using a 9V battery, that can't supply enough current. If you're using an AC supply, make sure it can supply enough current (probably 200mA to 300mA minimum).

What's happening is that, when the GPS module is powered, the current demand becomes maybe 150mA. The AC supply can't provide that much and its output voltage drops. When the output voltage drops below around 5.5V, the regulator stops regulating. When the supply voltage drops below around 4.5V, the Stamp detects this and stops working (goes into reset).
  • jruthroffjruthroff Posts: 38
    edited 2010-12-16 10:39
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Yes, very basic ... Your GPS module is probably drawing more current (115mA) than the Stamps in Class board can supply. The voltage regulator on the Board of Education (the board in the kit) is capable of providing over 1A, so it must be your power source. If you're using a 9V battery, that can't supply enough current. If you're using an AC supply, make sure it can supply enough current (probably 200mA to 300mA minimum).

What's happening is that, when the GPS module is powered, the current demand becomes maybe 150mA. The AC supply can't provide that much and its output voltage drops. When the output voltage drops below around 5.5V, the regulator stops regulating. When the supply voltage drops below around 4.5V, the Stamp detects this and stops working (goes into reset).
  • jruthroffjruthroff Posts: 38
    edited 2010-12-16 10:41
    Hi Mike, thanks for that. I don't have an AC power supply at the moment, but paralleling a few 9V batteries confirmed that it works as advertised when enough current is available.

Regards,

John
  • HelpMe1HelpMe1 Posts: 1
    edited 2011-06-07 19:05
    Hi I have the parallax GPS Module 28146.... It takes around 20 mins to get a "lock" on my position and every time I move it... it loses signal and has to "relock" it position... I am getting data from it and everything is working, The losing signal each time I move it and 20 mins to get a relock is my too major problem. Has anyone else had that problem?

Using
    Ardiuno 2009 with the parallax GPS Module 28146.
  • gcdensongcdenson Posts: 2
    edited 2011-06-12 17:31
    HelpMe1;
    Where are you when this is happening? If you are inside, standing close to a building, under dense trees, these things can block some of your signal from the satellites. If you haven't already, try standing outdoors, in a clear area, with a clear view of the sky to the North (assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere). This is usually the best condition for GPS satellite reception. If you still need 20 minutes to lock in a position from there, you could have other issues. If you have access to a method of reading the NMEA sentences from your GPS unit, check for the $GPGSV sentences. In most cases, if you are in North America, and following the directions above, your unit should display three lines of $GPGSV together each time it sends them. These three lines should probably display information for 10-12 satellites - some may have good signal strength, and others may not. If you go on the Internet and get a good description of this NMEA sentence, you can learn to decode the information your unit is getting from each satellite that it sees. Once you learn to read this code, you will have more information about how well your unit is receiving data, how many satellites it 'sees', etc. Maybe some of that will help you figure out how well it is actually receiving.