Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Upgrade Wheels - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Upgrade Wheels

2»

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-03-03 14:22
    erco wrote: »
    Gordon et al: I WAS WRONG! I made an earlier post fairly dissing Budget Robotics' foam PVCX chassis. I have seen many bad foams in my 20+ years in the toy biz, and I assumed this chassis was more of the same. Gordon (of Budget Robotics) was kind enough to send me some sample chassis and I have changed my tune. Per his earlier posts, it is a sturdy material and definitely plenty strong for small robots. Probably best to NOT even call it foam, that's what suckered me down the wrong road. The wheels are also quite nice, I wouldn't hesitate to use these parts and this material for robots and other projects. Thanks to Gordon for setting me straight, and especially doing so in a professional and friendly manner.

So by all means, have a peek at http://www.budgetrobotics.com . Mention my name for a 20% price INCREASE! :)

FOAM, Plastic??? What has happened to Erco?? I thought his rule was if it wasn't made out of wood it wasn't any good....

Robert
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-03-03 15:27
    So true, Robert! But there are proper ways to teach an old dog new tricks. Check my results:

1a) I boldly complained about Parallax switching the robot base from plywood to polyethylene.
    1b) My learned opponent Matt Gilliland sent me a beautiful white PE robot base, thus quieting me down.

2a) I boldly warned about using PVCX as robot chassis and wheels.
    2b) My new best friend Gordon sent me some amazingly strong PVCX samples, thus quieting me down.

So if there are any car dealers out there, I boldly say, "NEW RED FERRARIS SUCK!"
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-03-03 16:20
    Well you can't complain about those results! I guess if you happen to find a new car dealer that takes you up on your offer let me know. I may NOT like to have a Ferrari either. ;-)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-03-03 19:26
    I noticed the same pattern about Erco's complaint=reward, but I don't think I have that kind of luck.

It sounds like my current robot design, with thin wheels and o-ring tires is what's needed for odometry projects. So maybe just switching controller boards is the way to do some propeller projects. Oh and add quadrature encoders to get more resolution.

The one downside of thin wheels with o-ring tires is they have a bear of a time going from hardwood to carpet.