Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does anyone have a Spinneret up and running for all to see? — Parallax Forums

Does anyone have a Spinneret up and running for all to see?

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2010-12-17 19:31 in Accessories
I'm just curious: does anyone yet have a Spinneret up and running on the internet, maybe doing something, and accessible to all on a maybe somewhat continuous basis?

I was just wondering if there are yet any examples of the Spinneret working "out there".

thanks!
:)

Comments

• zapmasterzapmaster Posts: 54
    edited 2010-12-16 18:56
    I have a program running in house. When i try to run it on the web it kills my internetconections. That is the current issue i'm working on.

try 72.55.239.53
    for my project it will also go down for testing. but i will try to keep it up most of the time feedback is welcome.

i called my wifi provider i live in the sticks and get my internet from a mountain 11.4 miles away. They helped me set it up over the phone. i can get on from work and church.
    the curent issue is i'm having lockups.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2010-12-17 06:06
    @ElectricAye, I think most of us can easily hit the spinneret through the internet as it's simply a router configuration. I for one, don't leave it up because I'm working on a project. I imagine the same goes for most folks working on spinneret projects.

@zapmaster, hitting your internal network from the Internet is a router configuration. I use port forwarding. In order to implement port forwarding, you need to know the IP address assigned to you from your ISP. You can get that from your router or from many sites on the internet by searching for "What's my IP".

In your router configuration you should have a section for port forwarding. Might be in gaming. Anyway, there will be an external port and internal port. Set the external port to something like 5555 and the internal port to 80 . The internal port is the port number you assigned to the spinneret. You'll also have a "To" IP address, enter the IP address of your spinneret. Now you've built a path from the internet to your spinneret. All you have to do is enter the IP address assigned by your ISP and the external port number that you entered in the router configuration.
    http://123.123.123.123:5555

The ISP assigned IP address get you to your router. The router see port 5555 and knows that goes to the spinneret IP address and port that you set in the configuration. So the router forwards the request to the spinneret in your local network.

We probably should make a port forwarding sticky. This topic is a mysterious for those with little networking experience.
  • sstandfastsstandfast Posts: 39
    edited 2010-12-17 12:08
    Some routers also allow you to register with a dynamic DNS service (dyndns.org for example) if your ISP is using DHCP instead of static IP's. If your router won't do it, you can leave a PC on running an update program provided by the Dynamic DNS service provider. DynDNS.org is free and it allows you to use a domain name to access your stuff from the internet. If your ISP blocks port 80 (and there are several that do) then you will need to create two domains, one domain that points to your external port (5555 in Mike G's example). This is the domain you update with your IP address. The second domain is the one that everybody types into their browser. You configure this as a WebHop Redirect domain that points to your domain that points to your external port. Basically, you are using the Webhop to forward the users browser port 80 to your open external port 5555. Check out dyndns.org for more details on registering domain names and setting up Webhops.

For what it's worth, you can check out my work in progress at http://krwsms.dyndns.org. The page itself is pretty blah but it is at least a proof of concept. Right now I am just experimenting with figuring out how to use all the controls. I am still having connection reliability issues but I hope that since changing to an interrupt based webserver they will be resolved. Current implementation is DHCP but with timeouts and retries added to the DHCP connections + DHCP Automatic lease renew + Single Page interrupt driven webserver + zone interfaces for 7 rooms (only 2 are connected right now) + serial debugging + RTC - Man I love the Propeller.

I am currently working on a Whole house audio system that will be UPnP compliant for audio streaming. There will be controllers in each room for selecting individual audio sources including internet radio, room volume and room temperature. I am planning on replacing my house thermostat with this device as well. By adding servo controlled dampers to the HVAC system, I should be able to regulate the temperature of individual rooms based on sensors in the zone controllers. All will eventually be accessible via the web interface, provided I can figure out how to establish secure connections. All the nodes communicate over RS485/422 using a simple packet based protocol. I'm still in the early phase of design and development but the Propeller + PIC combo makes things go so much easier.

Shawn
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-12-17 19:31
    sstandfast wrote: »
    For what it's worth, you can check out my work in progress at http://krwsms.dyndns.org. The page itself is pretty blah but it is at least a proof of concept. ....

Hey, it looks good to me. You've even got Google ads on it already. Nice job!