Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EB500 and USB connection? — Parallax Forums

EB500 and USB connection?

D.RoemerD.Roemer Posts: 5
edited 2011-02-15 03:02 in Accessories
Hello; I am trying to link 2 EB500s on BOE's, one is the remote and one is connected to my PC. The sample programs load and run fine, and the EB500s are communicating, but the debug editor never shows any prompts. It just stays blank. Is this because I have a USB connection instead of a serial connection? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-12-12 13:14
    There's nothing particular about the USB connection that should be affected by the use of an EB500. Can you run other (simple) programs that use the DEBUG window? Can you download programs from the Stamp Editor? If so, the problem is something having to do with your Stamp program. How about more information about the programs you're using? You can attach them to your reply or, at least, cite the document and page number of the sample programs. If you've made any changes, you really have to supply the modified program that you're using.
  • D.RoemerD.Roemer Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-15 05:10
    Mike Green wrote: »
    There's nothing particular about the USB connection that should be affected by the use of an EB500. Can you run other (simple) programs that use the DEBUG window? Can you download programs from the Stamp Editor? If so, the problem is something having to do with your Stamp program. How about more information about the programs you're using? You can attach them to your reply or, at least, cite the document and page number of the sample programs. If you've made any changes, you really have to supply the modified program that you're using.
    edited 2010-12-15 08:13
    Here's what I have done:
    1. Connect the remote BOE w/EB500 to the PC and load the sample program "Hello World"
    2. Disconnect the remote BOE and connect the 2nd BOE w/EB500.
    3. Open a new debug terminal on the connected BOE
    4. Run the "Hello World" program by pushing the reset button on the remote BOE

The green lights come on each BOE for the right amount of time, then disconnects, but no data appears on the connected BOE debug terminal. It should read "connected", "hello world" (10 times), then "disconnected" right?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-12-15 12:59
    You need to attach your code so we can help. What you've done seems OK. Like Mike said attach your code.
    edited 2010-12-16 09:05
    Okay, here is one of the sample files I have tried. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Alex899654Alex899654 Posts: 11
    edited 2010-12-26 21:49
    Thank You for puting that info on the Forum......Its some info I was looking for......:thumb:
    edited 2011-02-01 07:56
    Mike, did you have a chance to look at my attached program for "Hello world" in thread # 6? I'm still struggling to make this thing work. Thanks...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-01 10:42
    The HelloWorld program you posted looks like it makes a connection, sends "Hello World", then disconnects. Does it work directly with a PC with a Bluetooth adapter using some kind of terminal emulator (like HyperTerminal)?

You didn't post the 2nd BOE's program, the one that's supposed to receive via Bluetooth from the 1st BOE, then echo what it received to a USB connected PC running the Stamp Editor. Keep in mind that a Stamp can do only one thing at a time. Depending on how the program is written, it might get hung up with a timing problem waiting for serial data from the EB500.
  • Alex899654Alex899654 Posts: 11
    edited 2011-02-02 23:11
    @..D.Roemer.....Im kinda confused at what You're trying to do......The CPU connects to the "remote" Boe-Bot with the eb500 through a Bluetooth right,and run the "HelloWorld".bs2 program? then you ....Disconnect the "remote" BOE and connect the 2nd BOE w/EB500.....then you....Open a "new" debug terminal on the connected BOE....and then you....Run the "Hello World" program by pushing the reset button on the "remote" BOE?????......if you disconnected the "remote" Boe-Bot didnt you loose the communication between the PC and its parameters.....so pushing the reset button does not display anything, thats correct...the communication belonging to the 2nd Boe-Bot and the PC are different right? different frequency?, and handshaking right?....are you trying to make a kind of 3 way connection; PC communicating to 2 Boe-Bots at the same time and on the same fequency?? or are you trying to make; a PC communicates to the 1stBoe-Bot, and then 1st Boe-Bot sends data to and from 2nd Boe-Bot??........dont Bluetooth have some kind of low level encryption to prevent two units from accidently using the same frequency?
  • penelopeklimaspenelopeklimas Posts: 1
    edited 2011-02-15 03:02
    It's interesting that both the eb500 and the linksys are running at class I ranges. It's good to know cuz it means that the maximum range is more reasonable. It also means the power consumption is higher but on of the bluetooth features is that the radios are supposed to adjust their output to the lowest power level that results in reliable communication with the other devices.