Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Zonal Range Finder using TSL1401 — Parallax Forums

Zonal Range Finder using TSL1401

VRizzoVRizzo Posts: 2
edited 2010-12-11 17:13 in Accessories
I need the ability to detect a moving object within 3 zones. Zone 1 is 5 to 15 feet from the sensor, Zone 2 is 15 to 30 feet away, and Zone 3 is 30 to 45 feet away. All I need to know is what zone the moving object is in.

I plan on scanning the area with the sensor mounted on either a stepper motor or servo, but first things first. I need to get the sensor working!

I have looked at a Maxbotic acoustic sensor but the range when detecting soft objects like humans or animals is only 10 feet.

I currently have a TSL1401 mounted along side a Beamshot Ultra laser. I figured I would use the triangulation method. To prove feasibility, I am using the TSL1401-Monitor to verify a shift in pixels depending on distance.

I am seeing a shift, but only a few pixels from Zone to Zone. I would expect significantly more than that.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this sound possible using the TSL1401?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-12-11 16:03
    You can increase the apparent pixel shift by moving your laser much further off-axis. Another thing that could help is using a longer focal-length lens to narrow your field of view.

-Phil
  • VRizzoVRizzo Posts: 2
    edited 2010-12-11 16:29
    Thanks Phil for your reply.

The laser is currently 3.5" from the sensor. Should I look at doubling or tripling the distance?

Do lens options exist for the TSL1401 or do I have to order a different lens from someone like Edmunds and plunk it in?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-12-11 17:13
    3.5" is way too close for a 45-foot range. Can you move the laser out a couple feet or more?

Regarding lenses, anything with a 12mm x 0.5mm thread should work. The supplied lens has an 8mm focal length. So if you can get one at least double that, it should help. Any lens designed for a 1/3" or larger sensor should work fine. In addition to Edmund, try these suppliers:

-Phil