Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stingray robot motor control — Parallax Forums

Stingray robot motor control

PeterNamPeterNam Posts: 2
edited 2010-12-13 17:39 in Robotics
Hi all,
I bought the Stingray robot. I used the Pings on a Stingray robot program that is supported by Parallax.
This program is using the "PWMx8" library and SetMotor(Motor, Speed) method. The max. speed setting is 255.
I want to make my robot more faster using simple way.
How can I run my motor more faster?

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-12-13 09:24
    PeterNam,

I don't know which code exactly that you are using. Up in the constants section, there should be a max speed setting (if I remember correctly, it was set at 100). Try adjusting that up and down slowly to see how the robot responds - but be careful - if you do a little search, you will find posts from some Stingray owners who dented up a few walls!

Edit - The constant that sets the max speed is not present in the most recent Pings on a Stingray code. I'm not certain how it works on the most recent code. Sorry.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-13 09:41
    PeterNam: Congrats, you are the first Stingray owner to request more speed. Everyone else is after finer motor control. I suspect you've hit max speed with the stock robot if you're at 255. That should be nearly the same speed as hooking your motors directly to your batteries, which is as fast as you can go.

You could change your gearmotors to get higher RPM at lower torque, or you could add external motor controllers (like HB-25s) and a higher-voltage motor battery if you really want to get into baseboard-bashing. Post some video!
  • PeterNamPeterNam Posts: 2
    edited 2010-12-13 17:39
    Thank you all.