Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cannot run stamp editor 2.5 — Parallax Forums

cannot run stamp editor 2.5

gotalliegotallie Posts: 5
edited 2010-12-11 17:27 in BASIC Stamp
I cannot run the Stamp Editor v2.5(R2). The program crashes at the splash screen with the following log displayed: (Does anyone have a solution?)

EurekaLog 6.0.18

Application:
1.1 Start Date : Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:45:04 -0500
1.2 Name/Description: Stampw.exe - (BASIC Stamp Editor)
1.3 Version Number : 2.5.0.0
1.4 Parameters :
1.5 Compilation Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:14:14 -0500
1.6 Up Time : 2 seconds

Exception:
2.1 Date : Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:45:07 -0500
2.2 Address : 0056269D
2.3 Module Name : Stampw.exe - (BASIC Stamp Editor)
2.4 Module Version: 2.5.0.0
2.5 Type : EAccessViolation
2.6 Message : Access violation at address 0056269D in module 'Stampw.exe'. Read of address 00000008.
2.7 ID : 3DE1
2.8 Count : 1
2.9 Status : New
2.10 Note :

Active Controls:
4.1 Form Class : TAboutForm
4.2 Form Text : About
4.3 Control Class: TAboutForm
4.4 Control Text :

Computer:
5.2 Total Memory : 2035 Mb
5.3 Free Memory : 408 Mb
5.4 Total Disk : 232.88 Gb
5.5 Free Disk : 41.22 Gb
5.6 System Up Time: 11 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes, 58 seconds
5.7 Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz
5.8 Display Mode : 1920 x 1200, 32 bit
5.9 Display DPI : 96
5.10 Video Card : NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M (driver 8.15.11.8621 - RAM 1024 MB)
5.11 Printer : Adobe PDF Converter (driver 6.0.6000.16386)

Operating System:
6.1 Type : Microsoft Windows Vista
6.2 Build # : 6002
6.3 Update : Service Pack 2
6.4 Language: English
6.5 Charset : 0

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-12-09 18:30
    Upgrade to Windows 7. if that is not an option, uninstall completely. Reve any references to Parallax and Stamp editor from registry and then reinstall. Vista blows and it would bebest if you could upgrade.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-09 23:53
    @NW: My Vista machine (Compaq Presario SR2030NX) is rock solid. Upgraded to Vista from XP. Only trouble I ever had was a bad Seagate HD.

@gotallie: Clean install cures all, but wastes a day or more.
  • gotalliegotallie Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-10 09:58
    @ NWCCTV I worked on my first computer system in 1979. I have worked on a lot of different platforms since then. Vista is far from "blows". This Vista machine is just fine. I have other machines with Win7. There is no need to upgrade this system as it is stable and each new/upgraded laptop that I use takes about 2 weeks to install and tweak all of the tech and office software I require. It would be nice to have the Stamp editor working in this machine instead of having to tote a second laptop as I need to now.

The stamp software has been uninstalled and all references removed from the registry. This does not solve the problem. The installation states compatibility with Vista. Apparently judging from the Access error generated something is very wrong.

As it appears from the forum I am not the only one with this identical error.

Still hoping for a solution.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-12-10 18:24
    Have you tried to load it on another computer? Have you downloaded the software again and tried that?
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-12-11 11:26
    gotallie wrote: »
    @ NWCCTV I worked on my first computer system in 1979. I have worked on a lot of different platforms since then. Vista is far from "blows". This Vista machine is just fine. I have other machines with Win7. There is no need to upgrade this system as it is stable and each new/upgraded laptop that I use takes about 2 weeks to install and tweak all of the tech and office software I require. It would be nice to have the Stamp editor working in this machine instead of having to tote a second laptop as I need to now.

The stamp software has been uninstalled and all references removed from the registry. This does not solve the problem. The installation states compatibility with Vista. Apparently judging from the Access error generated something is very wrong.

As it appears from the forum I am not the only one with this identical error.

Still hoping for a solution.
    '
    You sound pretty computer savy but I'll throw this out there anyway.
    '
    With my Parallax O-scope (Vista laptop) if I just double click the icon the app. opens but it will not connect to the usb port. If I right click and RUN AS ADMIN it runs fine. One of a few Vista bugs I've found.
    '
    Are You downloading the Stamp Editor straight from Parallax and not some other second or third party?
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-12-11 12:13
    Maybe a step back. I don't believe you said which hardware connection you have with the Stamp. USB or Serial? If USB to Serial did you load the latest FTDI drivers?

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx

Jim
  • gotalliegotallie Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-11 13:56
    @hover1: There is no connection. The editor does not load past the splash screen.

@$WMc%: I have tried all variations I could think of: Install as admin, run as admin... I am admin on this machine. The error that is generated does not seem to point to an obvious fix. The software came from parallax, downloaded multiple times.

@Franklin: I did successfully install/run it on another machine. That was my point. I would like not to have to use a second machine to run this software. I would like to use my development machine as I am required to do work in the field as well as in the shop. I just cannot figure out what issue, software/hardware, could possibly be causing this problem as I have many other far more complex and tightly integrated software installed and running successfully on this machine.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-12-11 17:27
    gotallie wrote: »
    @hover1: There is no connection. The editor does not load past the splash screen.

@$WMc%: I have tried all variations I could think of: Install as admin, run as admin... I am admin on this machine. The error that is generated does not seem to point to an obvious fix. The software came from parallax, downloaded multiple times.

@Franklin: I did successfully install/run it on another machine. That was my point. I would like not to have to use a second machine to run this software. I would like to use my development machine as I am required to do work in the field as well as in the shop. I just cannot figure out what issue, software/hardware, could possibly be causing this problem as I have many other far more complex and tightly integrated software installed and running successfully on this machine.
    '
    Sorry for the lack of help. I've never seen a Windows machine have trouble with the software, No matter what Ver's the OS was!
    '
    I'd get with Parallax tech support Monday. These are some really sharp cats,I'm sure they can help you with the install.
    '
    Parallax
    Toll-Free Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 pacific time