Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COCO for the Holidays? — Parallax Forums

COCO for the Holidays?

Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
edited 2010-12-18 17:34 in Robotics
Well,

It's actually C.O.C.O. that stands for "Clap On Clap Off" and the intention is to turn ON/OFF the lights on the Christmas tree.

This is something I put together for 'grandpa' who has trouble even hitting the button on the power switch with his cane.

Enjoy!!
815 x 802 - 112K

Comments

• RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-12-07 18:55
    Nice work!! I assume you use the on-board microphone?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2010-12-07 20:50
    Ravenkallen,

"I assume you use the on-board microphone" - Yes, absolutely. I modified the microphone-to-headphone object and called it 'Clap Detector' . Within it you can set the threshold noise level. With two little girls Ages 5 and 8 as my 'random noise source' the value I have set seems to be fool proof... Now, if there happens to be a football game, and there are people clapping, yelling, etc. it's anyone's guess how the 'Christmas tree' will respond. :-)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-17 12:16
    @Beau: I bet you can do that only using 4 or 5 cogs of the Propeller, huh? :)

I'd feel bad about using a simple BS1 for that app, and you have a Prop there! Ah, the joy of overkill! :):):)

JK, I'm just way jealous that you have access to all these wonderful treasures...
    edited 2010-12-17 14:48
    erco,

I know your joking, and so am I...

I'm all about showing how to do something by what ever means are available and at my disposal. Even when they say that it can't be done, that's even more of an incentive. But that's just my style.

I didn't post this for the sake of COCO, the idea is to look at the project for elements within the code and hardware that make the project in the first place. This way someone else can build upon these elements with some future project of theirs that undoubtedly will seem completely unrelated. An example? This program originally started out as microphone_to_headphones.spin which later became a PING detector for measuring the speed of sound, and now... COCO.

Anyway, glad you like it... the idea is to have fun with it. Grandpa likes it, and so do the girls... The tree blinks on and off a little more that I would like for it to (at the girls discretion of course), but it works and the girls have fun with it.

BTW) I have a few extra boards so that I can work out problems with other peoples code :-)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-18 16:26
    If you can get me a few Prop boards and SSRs, I think I can manage to turn on a lamp by closing a switch.
    edited 2010-12-18 17:34
    erco,

Now your thinking - lol