Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help in BOE-BOT Robot — Parallax Forums

Need help in BOE-BOT Robot

botakbotak Posts: 13
edited 2011-01-01 12:55 in Robotics
Hi there! This is YQ&RAZ here.

We need help in the Basic Stamp Editor!! :frown:

Currently we're doing our Final Year Project using Boe-Bot. And we are suppose to fix the "PhotoResistor" & "In-fared - Headlight " in our boe-bot's bread board.
How ever we have no idea how we should suppose to place the components. And how are we suppose to program the robot. Hope you guys can help us ):

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-12-05 19:11
    Currently we're doing our Final Year Project using Boe-Bot. And we are suppose to fix the "PhotoResistor" & "In-fared - Headlight "
    Isn't that what the manual and help files are for? Please try reading the manuals, put together what you think will work and test it. If it does not work attach your code , tell us what you expected and what you got and then ask specific questions. School is to teach you about stuff not how to ask others to do your work. We are glad to help but not do your work for you (at least I won't)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-12-05 19:24
    It's against forum rules to cross-post (post the same message in more than one forum). You won't get faster answers and you won't get better answers. As has been mentioned in the other forum, you'll have to do your own work. We'll be happy to answer specific questions when they come up, but we can't do your homework for you.
  • botakbotak Posts: 13
    edited 2010-12-05 19:40
    Okay perhaps i was wrong with how i phrased myself. What i'm facing currently is that, i have the code for the programme to work but i strongly suspect that my photo resistor is placed wrongly. I need guidance on this. Sorry if i'm not too good with words. I don't mean to have you guys to give me the coding. What i really meant was that my photo resistor is not working. Are there anyway you guys can teach me where am i suppose to place my photo resistor?
    edited 2010-12-05 19:51
    The Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial (here - use the Educational Tutorials and Translations button) in Chapter #6 has lots of information on how to connect and use photoresistors, particularly for robot navigation.
    edited 2010-12-05 21:17
    Hi Sir,
    I have attached one of the picture in here. Maybe you can guide me if place my components wrongly.
    1024 x 1371 - 127K
    edited 2010-12-05 21:36
    I can't tell from the photo where all the parts and wires go. Look on page #208 in the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial for a schematic diagram and connection drawing for the photoresistor. It looks like you have an extra resistor, maybe to change the effective sensitivity of the photoresistor. I'd suggest you start with the examples in the tutorial until you understand what you're doing.
    edited 2010-12-05 22:48
    Okay. Thanks alot for the help (: Thanks.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2010-12-08 23:04
    botak wrote: »
    Hi there! This is YQ&RAZ here.

We need help in the Basic Stamp Editor!! :frown:

Currently we're doing our Final Year Project using Boe-Bot. And we are suppose to fix the "PhotoResistor" & "In-fared - Headlight " in our boe-bot's bread board.
    How ever we have no idea how we should suppose to place the components. And how are we suppose to program the robot. Hope you guys can help us ):

Hi Botak,
    I strongly recommend to have a look at the book of Andy Lindsay's Robotics with the Boe-Bot text Robotics with the Boe-Bot Text v2.2 (.pdf)

Focus on Pages 193-234 & 235-263
    Pay attention in the follow image (It is a screen shoot from the book above)
    If you need more help send me the first lines of your code the "I/O Definitions" to see the pins you have put in your programe so I can tell you if you have any mistake.
    878 x 1276 - 154K
    edited 2010-12-09 17:39
    Hi Nikos G,

Thanks for your help! Can you take a lot at our connection & program? I've attached it in here.
    It would be great if you can point out any error we have make )=

Botak
    1024 x 765 - 108K
    1024 x 765 - 88K
    edited 2010-12-12 03:29
    Hi Nikos G,

Thanks for your help! Can you take a lot at our connection & program? I've attached it in here.
    It would be great if you can point out any error we have make )=

Botak

Hi botac,
    I was confusing at first but I think that your circuit is corect
    In your code I think you have a mistake
    You haven't given values the photoDetectLeft and photoDetectRight .
    before you use these variables in your code you should write (acording your circuit) the follow:
    photoDetectLeft =IN6 ' (because you have connected the left photoresistor in Pin 6)
    photoDetectRight = IN3 ' (because you have connected the left photoresistor in Pin 3)
    Try this and tell me if it works!
    edited 2010-12-13 17:26
    Hi there,

I'll try the code you gave me later on when my partner is here. Thanks for your help. And hope this really works.
    Thank you (:
    edited 2010-12-15 23:44
    NikosG wrote: »
    Hi botac,
    I was confusing at first but I think that your circuit is corect
    In your code I think you have a mistake
    You haven't given values the photoDetectLeft and photoDetectRight .
    before you use these variables in your code you should write (acording your circuit) the follow:
    photoDetectLeft =IN6 ' (because you have connected the left photoresistor in Pin 6)
    photoDetectRight = IN3 ' (because you have connected the left photoresistor in Pin 3)
    Try this and tell me if it works!

Hi there, i've try the code you gave me. However it still can't work. Now both the photoresistor and IR is not working. :frown: I suppose i gave you the wrong coding?

I've attach another code in here. For this code, the IR is functioning well. But nothing seems to work on the photoresistor. Hope you can help me again. Thanks alot :smile:

( Purpose of my project: My project is to combine both the photoresistor& IR to work. Afterwhich, i'll need to connect a solar panel& the charge control circuit in the Boe-Bot. So the aim of this project is to have this boe-bot working, able to seek for sunlight and charge the battery once it's low batt. Sorry if my language is not strong enoug. Hope you understand)
    edited 2010-12-16 06:08
    Hi botak,
    Don't worry I can understand you. I' ll try to help you. From a quiqkly look in your new code I've noticed a first mistake:
    The formula: average = timeRight + timeLeft / 2 is wrong! The corect is: average = (timeRight + timeLeft) / 2.
    I 'll give you an example 8 + 4 /2 = 10 But (8 + 4) /2 = 6 Can you understand why? The use of "(" parentesis is very important on mathematics formulas.
    Try also to increase the PAUSE period before each RCTIME command. From my experience PAUSE 300 is good.
    Put some DEBUG comands in your code to see the result on your screen e.g.
    DEBUG DEC ? timeLeft, ?timeRight, CR
    (keep your boe bot conected with your computer and the bebug screen open and use a flashlight to change the lightness).
    I didn't see whole your code. But try the suggestion above. Especially the Debug command will give a feedback to reach your goal.
    Your project sounds great I have in mind some useful links. I'll try to find and send you.
    Meanwhile keep trying!!!
    Nikos.
    edited 2010-12-16 17:56
    Hi botak,
    Don't worry I can understand you. I' ll try to help you. From a quiqkly look in your new code I've noticed a first mistake:
    The formula: average = timeRight + timeLeft / 2 is wrong! The corect is: average = (timeRight + timeLeft) / 2.
    I 'll give you an example 8 + 4 /2 = 10 But (8 + 4) /2 = 6 Can you understand why? The use of "(" parentesis is very important on mathematics formulas.
    Try also to increase the PAUSE period before each RCTIME command. From my experience PAUSE 300 is good.
    Put some DEBUG comands in your code to see the result on your screen e.g.
    DEBUG DEC ? timeLeft, ?timeRight, CR
    (keep your boe bot conected with your computer and the bebug screen open and use a flashlight to change the lightness).
    I didn't see whole your code. But try the suggestion above. Especially the Debug command will give a feedback to reach your goal.
    Your project sounds great I have in mind some useful links. I'll try to find and send you.
    Meanwhile keep trying!!!
    Nikos.

Hi Nikos,
    Thanks for you help. I have did some changes to the error you pointed out. However if i were to change the PAUSE 300, my boe bot will move very slowly.
    I'm sorry but i don't understand the put some " DEBUG " Sorry but i'm a noob in programming. ):
    Hope you can explain to me slight clearer abit. But i really wish my boe bot will work at the end of the day. And I checked my photoresistor coding, and there is nothing wrong in it. But is still not working. Sorry if i'm too irritating. ): Really hope you can help me.!

Thanks nikos :thumb:

Botak
    edited 2010-12-18 00:49
    DEBUG is an output command of Parallax Basic. Is something like the PRINT comand in Basic.
    Try this : DEBUG "Hello world" . It will display the phrase "Hello world" on your compuer screen. (Obviusly you must have conected the basic stamp board and your PC)
    This command can also display the value of variables you use. Just copy the follow comand in your code:
    DEBUG DEC "left=", DEC timeLeft ," Right=", DEC timeRight
    It will display on your screen what exactly each photoresistor see (the lightness is proportional to the numeric value you see on your screen).

P.s. Althought your formoula average = timeRight + timeLeft / 2 is wrong mathematically it works properly on basic stamp because the stamp axecute calculations from left to the right.
    edited 2010-12-19 21:57
    DEBUG is an output command of Parallax Basic. Is something like the PRINT comand in Basic.
    Try this : DEBUG "Hello world" . It will display the phrase "Hello world" on your compuer screen. (Obviusly you must have conected the basic stamp board and your PC)
    This command can also display the value of variables you use. Just copy the follow comand in your code:
    DEBUG DEC "left=", DEC timeLeft ," Right=", DEC timeRight
    It will display on your screen what exactly each photoresistor see (the lightness is proportional to the numeric value you see on your screen).

P.s. Althought your formoula average = timeRight + timeLeft / 2 is wrong mathematically it works properly on basic stamp because the stamp axecute calculations from left to the right.

Hi there :D
    Thanks alot alot for your help! My boebot is functioning well with photoresistors& infrared headlight. Is working now. However, the speed was pretty slow. And it also tend to jerk when it actually sense the light. Is there any ways i can change it? (:
    Really thanks alot for the help. Thank you.

(I've attached my program in here. Hope to hear from you soon.)
    edited 2010-12-22 05:44
    Hi there :D
    Thanks alot alot for your help! My boebot is functioning well with photoresistors& infrared headlight. Is working now. However, the speed was pretty slow. And it also tend to jerk when it actually sense the light. Is there any ways i can change it? (:
    Really thanks alot for the help. Thank you.

(I've attached my program in here. Hope to hear from you soon.)

A very useful file that analyzes the way you connect a solar panel & the charge control circuit in the Boe-Bot is the: "Experiments with Renewable Energy" v1.0 (310 pp.). You can download this file here. It is the second file from the bottom of this link page.
    edited 2010-12-30 18:50
    A very useful file that analyzes the way you connect a solar panel & the charge control circuit in the Boe-Bot is the: "Experiments with Renewable Energy" v1.0 (310 pp.). You can download this file here. It is the second file from the bottom of this link page.

Hi Nikos G,
    Thanks for all the help these days. Now i've 2 robot functioning well. 1st is the Photoresistor& IR-infrared Headlight. 2nd is the Photoresistor& Whisker.
    However, now my supervisor would want me to use Solar Panel to activate my Boe Bot instead of battery. Do you think we're able to do so?
    Anyway this is our solar panel >> http://www.robotshop.ca/home/products/robot-parts/power-systems/solar-cells/MPT6-75-powerfilm-solar-cell.html

Hope to hear from you soon.
    And, wishing you a happy new year. May you have a great 2011 (:

Botak
    edited 2011-01-01 12:55
    Hi botak,
    I also have in mind to use a mini solar panel fon my BoeBot but I haven't done it yet. Personally in my experiments I use small PV 6V like this
    Although I have successfully achieved to track the solar path with a Solar Panel I don't know enough issues about how to charge batteries with them.
    However Parallax give us extremely useful information about this topic in file: "Experiments with Renewable Energy" v1.0 (310 pp.). Look at thread #18!. I have already given you the link to get the file!
    A user also has made an amazing Solar Boe-bot. Look at the Youtube video with title" My Solar Boe-bot". It gives some information.
    Keep Trying
    You are in a good way!
    Happy New Year!!!