Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Found BS1 with carrier board and have a few questions. — Parallax Forums

Found BS1 with carrier board and have a few questions.

WafflesWaffles Posts: 5
edited 2010-12-05 15:42 in BASIC Stamp
After sitting in a box for over 10 years my BS1 has suddenly surfaced. I no longer have a parallel port (but who does?), but I've read on the forums that parallax has a nice serial adapter. Could I plug in a parallel to serial adapter and use the old connecter I have or do I need to get a new one? Also I run a mac is that going to mess with parallax's adapter (I found some third party software)?

Now to the IDE, since I run a mac (10.5.4) all I seem to be able to find is a BS2 IDE, will I still be able to program a BS1 with that? or is the ol' chip destined to return to the box in the back of the closet in the guest bedroom?

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-12-04 09:35
    The Basic Stamp Editor should work OK for the BS1. Most BS1 I've seen use a 3 pin serial adapter for programing.I'm not sure about the parallel to serial.
    '
    I'll see If I can find some info on this.
    '
    I think this will work for your BS1
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/CategoryID/9/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/44/Default.aspx
  • WafflesWaffles Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-04 13:09
    Oh, that is perfect. I also found a Lynxmotion FIRST STEP controller, which to my understanding is just a BS1, and an unfinished hexapod walker. After years of neglect looks like old projects might come back to life. Thanks, this looks like it might be easier than i first thought.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-05 08:40
    Of course, Parallax's BS1 parallel-serial adapter can plug into Parallax's serial-USB adapter, and I'm sure that can eventually plug into whatever the next Parallax adapter is...

If you add a USB-parallel adapter and loop the whole thing back on itself, it will result in either perpetual motion, cold fusion, or the end of the world as we know it.
  • WafflesWaffles Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-05 15:42
    Well, i ordered both, so, i'll work something out and either I'll let you know what happens or we'll all cease to exist.