Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My s2 robots came today !!! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

My s2 robots came today !!!

2»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-26 08:55
    Great bot. My only observation (not complaint!) is that there is some play in the wheels, which will effect dead reckoning to some degree. Wiggle your wheels around and report back; I suspect they all have the same condition. My original Scribbler had the same issue. I reduced the play somewhat on that robot by closing the gap between the square motor drive shaft and the square wheel hub hole. I CAREFULLY used gap-filling cyanoacrylate (super glue) to fill that gap. Don't glue your motor shaft in your motor module!

I'll do that fix to this S2 the first time I crack the case to get to the hacker port.
  • ScribblerKartScribblerKart Posts: 45
    edited 2010-12-26 17:30
    That's awesome! We unwraaped ours yesterday! :cool:
    edited 2010-12-26 19:23
    @SK: Are you POSITIVE that your Dad didn't play with it before Christmas, AFTER you went to sleep? :)
  • ScribblerKartScribblerKart Posts: 45
    edited 2010-12-27 06:22
    @ erco, I'm sure he didn't. Besides, I didn't know anything because my door was closed and I wasn't allowed to open it and I fell asleep for Santa to come.
  • MinimumWageMinimumWage Posts: 72
    edited 2010-12-27 12:48
    I know the S2 is really new and people are just getting them, but I'm wondering if anyone has messed with the hacker port yet. I'm curious about the expansion possibilities and adding new sensors, etc. How hard is it to get into the case or add external components? Has anyone stuck a breadboard on the top yet? ;-)

I've been away from the forums for a while so apologies in advance if this was beat to death in an older thread. The S2 looks like a really capable platform for $99 and I'm really thinking of getting one if it's really as mod-able as it looks.

Mike
    edited 2010-12-27 13:16
    They're backordered, so there's already a "waiting list" and many names ahead of you. It's a great platform, so plunk yer $99 down now unless you really want a long wait. Looks like this is an intro price, too, that may increase. Another reason to buy now!'

Belay that order, I just realized that I need a second unit and I better get my order in ahead of you... :)
  • johnetjohnet Posts: 11
    edited 2010-12-28 16:42
    Being up in the great white north, needed an S2 that could operate in our conditions. Contacted Solarbotics on Dec 15th, they had an S2 in my hands on the 20th. Impressive as I'm in a rural area. Canada Post uses dog sleds and not brown trucks, snow doesn't slow everything down.

The ambulance sounds are actually handy, because the polar bears roaming around are scared off by the racket. Now.....trying to figure out how to get the snow shoes to stay on the wheels.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-12-28 18:41
    I know the S2 is really new and people are just getting them, but I'm wondering if anyone has messed with the hacker port yet. I'm curious about the expansion possibilities and adding new sensors, etc. How hard is it to get into the case or add external components? Has anyone stuck a breadboard on the top yet? ;-)

I've opened the case to get a look at the innards and the hacker port. It's just a handful of little screws - 6, if I remember correctly - and they go back together easily. The pins are well-marked, but I haven't messed with them yet, and I haven't tried to see how much room there is.
    edited 2010-12-28 19:30
    HEY!!! Solarbotics has S2's in stock, is selling the S2 for $98.95 (undercutting Parallax by $1.05) and free shipping on orders over $75!

http://www.solarbotics.com/products/39145/resources/

Yikes! Ken, wassup wit dat?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-12-28 20:40
    erco wrote:
    Yikes! Ken, wassup wit dat?
    A primary supplier never undercuts its dealers. But, erco, you already know that! :)

-Phil
    edited 2010-12-28 23:12
    @PhiPi: Yep! I was just surprised by johnet's comment that he got one from Solarbotics delivered to Canada just 5 days after ordering, just before Christmas! I knew Ken was "out of stock" with his first shipment. I wrongly assumed that those were all ordered through Parallax.

I did neglect to mention that I was one of ??? people who preordered and were happily surprised to find a free Parallax USB-serial adapter & cable in the box with the S2 from Parallax. That's worth some $$$ and goodwill right there! Beats Solarbotics' free shipping promo, fer sure...
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-12-29 05:03
    Since the topic of Solarbotics came, I'm curious if anyone has found a solution to a problem I have with them. I like ordering from them, but because they are in Canada my Visa card hits me with a 2% surcharge. Is there anyway to pay them that doesn't have a surcharge?
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2010-12-29 08:57
    I preordered mine too and was very happy and suprised to find a free usb/serial adapter and usb cable included with my s2 order - thank you Parallax!
    edited 2010-12-29 09:06
    @Martin_H: Solarbotics also takes Paypal; I don't think there's a charge for using that.

Edit: Confirmed, no extra charge for using Paypal.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-12-29 15:42
    @Erco, thanks I will try that next time.