Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp never found on usb adapter — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp never found on usb adapter

Lharvey619Lharvey619 Posts: 1
edited 2010-12-03 20:02 in BASIC Stamp
I just got a Basic Stamp, as part of the book "123 robot experiments for evil geniuses", and have its included PCB board built.

I have no serial port on my Gateway 7811 laptop (vista64), so I had to get a Manhattan USB to serial converter.

I have downloaded and installed the driver for the converter through their website

And I have the PCB board running on a 9v DC regulated power supply.

Now, no matter what I do/try, the Basic Stamp editor can never find the chip- Loopback and echo are YES (com 16), but no identifier.. Any Ideas? is the usb converter one of those that does not get along with Stamp, as noted in the help pages (prolific driver)? Is the "evil genius" PCB board or my assembly defective? Is 9v DC wrong? Is there something else I can do to try to get it to start up?

I have gone through all of the help page connection problems tips, and found that my advanced settings on the usb drivers inly has "disable fifo" option, no latency adjustment. Could that be the problem?

I'm really out of ideas, and so am turning to this forum. The only proof I have that this Basic Stamp works at ALL is the fact thats its little "472" chip gets hot when its on- but, besides voltage readings at the taps showing a load off the supply, thats about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments