connecting prop to Verizon/CDMA phone — Parallax Forums

connecting prop to Verizon/CDMA phone

pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
edited 2010-12-21 08:24 in Accessories
I have a project that is very similar to what Jay did a couple years ago:
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=107112

It's also similar to what this thread is doing:
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125274

I'd like to use the Prop to put together an SMS that goes out over the mobile phone. However the only provider with coverage in the area this device will be deployed is Verizon. Does anyone have experience or suggestion on connecting the prop to a Verizon/CDMA device?

Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Peter

Comments

• Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2010-11-23 19:13
    Just so you know, you can send texts to verizon phones using tap paging, although you would have to use a modem and have a phone line available.

There are a few verizon modems available. I think the serial interface is going to be very similar to what else is out there for gsm.

Look through here, these are all verizon approved devices.

http://opennetwork.verizonwireless.com/devicesShowcase.aspx
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2010-11-23 19:53
    Hi Erik-

Thanks for the link. My goal is to send SMS from a remote location. In fact, my brother is a maple syrup producer. He's like to know how his collection system is performing with traveling all the way out to the sugar bush (~30 miles). His Verizon phone gets coverage there so I was hoping to get an inexpensive Verizon phone which I could talk to (presumably over a low baud rate serial port). I could use the prop to put together the appropriate SMS with data collected about the collection system (gals, temp, humidity, etc) and send periodic updates via cell service.

The way Jay was able to do it this looked pretty straight forward. However finding a phone with an exposed serial port on Verizon seems a bit more difficult. The page you suggested does have some devices, but they don't look like they'd be interested in selling a single unit to me for ~$20 which is kinda what the budget is for the phone/modem for this project.

At this point I think our best chance is to see if ATT might work in this area.

Thanks,
    Peter
    edited 2010-11-24 02:18
    Tracfone uses the verizon network with some of their phones.

You don't have a land line phone available at the remote location?

$20 puts you in a tight. A directional antenna would likely get att working. I use an aircard at my house in my basement. I have 35 feet of coax going to the roof of my house. The difference? -95db to -60db. Or 1-2 bars to 4 steady.
    edited 2010-11-24 06:01
    Erik-

That's a very interesting link. I think my dad has one of those Kyocera CDMA tracphones. I'll have to ask him if he gets signal out there, then figure out if there's a way to get into it via serial port

The location where all this needs to go has mains power and a 3ftx3ft roof. That's it. No sides on the "building" no landlines, not much of anything except a large vacuum pump and a milk tank full of sap. An aircard might work, but there's no computer there (nor do we plan to put one) and also no USB. The plan is just to use a prop with a serial port connection to the phone/device.

p
  • Kevin BrownKevin Brown Posts: 44
    edited 2010-12-20 21:22
    Telit makes a module CC864-DUAL that is CDMA it uses telit standard AT set commands. I can tell you that Verizon is very picky about embedded systems on there network. I would try a high gain ant. and try to pick up ATT or Tmobile and us a gsm module.

similar project using gsm

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128057-Prop-Vessel-Monitoring-System-(PropVMS)
    edited 2010-12-21 05:19
    Kevin-

Thanks for the link. More options never hurts. Turns out for my application, ATT does have signal there so I've got one of the phones Jay used in his balloon experiment on the way. Seems like this is a hot topic lately. Thanks goodness Jay has done most of the work. I hope to add a message parser to his work. If I get that working I'll post it back up for others.

p
    edited 2010-12-21 05:57
    @kevin, what type of experience do you have with vzw and embedded stuff? Its not as easy as buying a vzw approved embedded modem and buying a plan?
  • Kevin BrownKevin Brown Posts: 44
    edited 2010-12-21 08:24
    Erik,
    In my day job I do security evaluations and penetration testing of utility smart grid implementations ( large embedded controller networks ) several of my customers use Verizon in their implementations and pilots. I've also worked with several vendors in trying to bringing products to the Verizon network. Both RavenX and Digi have CDMA modems that Verizon considers an approved devices even though both devices contain a tellit type module,as you can guess they are substantially more expensive than the hundred dollar module they contain.

Unless you can add the device to an existing service plan for cheap the service charges are a killer. The other option is a prepay account but most have a parasitic charge that even if you never use the phone the account will deplete. The best I've found so far has been T-Mobile if you purchase 100$ = 1000 min those minutes will not expire for 12 months so essentially I am paying $100 per year to keep my device active.

Kevin
    KI4SCC