Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
no Basic Stamp found — Parallax Forums

no Basic Stamp found

sparks5sparks5 Posts: 9
edited 2013-12-31 03:48 in BASIC Stamp
After six months of klitch free Boe-Bot computing , I am now getting the message " No Basic Stamp Found" I have exhausted all of the help routines but still no Stamp. What am I missing? I have two Boe-Bots and both gving either a no stamp or a no serial port found. Could this be my lap top acting up or the micro chips?
Boy, another sleepless night

Sparks 5

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-11-21 20:38
    Low battery 90% of the time.

Are you using a USB adapter?
  • sparks5sparks5 Posts: 9
    edited 2010-11-22 09:25
    I installed fresh set of batteries with same result and yes I am using USB connection.
    Any way of testing the stamp itself. Could it be a problem with my computer?
    Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-22 09:40
    Try a different USB cable. Almost all cases of "No Stamp Found" are due to one of two things:
    1) Inadequate power to the Stamp. The Stamp has to be running to be found.

2) No serial connection between the Stamp and the PC. There has to be a functioning serial connection, including the DTR control line, between the Stamp and the Stamp Editor. There can't be long delays in communication (like with high latencies or with wireless connections).

If you've installed new software on your computer, it's possible (but unlikely) that the USB to serial adapter's I/O driver has been overwritten. You can always unplug your USB to serial adapter and reinstall the Stamp software including the USB driver (then plug the adapter back in).

The Stamp itself is pretty rugged. It's possible to destroy it, but it takes some specific circumstances, in particular, connecting Vdd / Vss across a voltage well over 6V or connecting Vdd / Vss in reverse. Most uses of the Stamp use Vin / Vss for the power source and Vin is protected by a voltage regulator.
  • sparks5sparks5 Posts: 9
    edited 2010-11-23 13:20
    Thanks Mike
    I have two Boe-Bots, #1 appears fine voltage is 6.18 however ident gives me Basis Stamp 2
    and the version says v1.0.
    Boe-Bot #2 still says No Basic Stamp found, fresh batts, changed to new USB connector
    and re installed software v2.5.
    I interchanged stamps between the two with no change which leads me to believe it may be
    a hardware problem with the BOE. Any way to check this. Both recently purchased.
    Ernest
  • piolepiole Posts: 8
    edited 2013-12-31 03:48
    Same here.
    After months of use, my BS2px suddently got stuck in a "No basic stamp found" issue... and then I managed to de-stuck it..
    So I'm sharing this experience, maybe it'll help some of you guys.

I knew that my Bs2px was still "alive" because my program kept sending a DEBUG heartbeat character (I could see in the Debug window that BS was sending a heartbeat character every second, although it was scrambled.... )
    Also, the Bs2px was correctly detected by the editor ("Identify")

First I tried to change battery --> no improvement
    I tried to reboot my computer --> no improvement
    I checked that I had the latest version of the editor
    The I tried to remove all my circuitry --> no improvement
    I tried to remove the "COM" directive in my programm --> no improvement
    I tried to "play" with Auto / Manual COM port --> no improvement

And then I did F6 (Identify window opens), waited 1 sec for my BS to appear, and then right away (didn't close the ID window) pressed F9 --> bingo
    It saved me the 2 times I got stuck.

This is just a guess but I am pretty sure that I always get the "No basic stamp found" when I press F9 while the BS is busy executing some piece of code (and more specifically when it is waiting on a SERIN statement). Maybe the "Identify" operation interrupts the processing. Anyways, now what I do is always add some PAUSE statements and the problem really seems to happen more rarely.

Hope this will help...