Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinneret Vs Pink — Parallax Forums

Spinneret Vs Pink

skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
edited 2010-11-26 14:49 in Accessories
Will the Spinneret be as easy to use as the Pink is/was or will it be only for those with experience of propellers and spin?

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2010-11-22 00:43
    From what I can see, it's NOT as easy to use, but on the other hand, it's much more flexible.

The Pink module is a web-server with FTP and Telnet functionality, but the Spinneret is a 'general purpose' network module.
    you will need some knowledge of Propellers and Spin to use it, yes, but there's now beginning to appear some example code that can be adapted to your own use.
    (I plan to raid the code shamelessly as soon as my Spinneret arrives... )
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2010-11-22 06:29
    I understand the need to make it more flexible, there were issues with the Pink, I just hope that after there is a plethora of code for the Spinneret that Parallax will use their usual expertise in simplifying the setup and use of it in their user guides.
    The sort of manual that takes you from a basic web server to adding functionality and how it all works in simple terms, ie to utilise the RTC in your webpage and how to control triggers based on time.
    Perhaps this is the future intention of Parallax with their contests?
    Just hope that it will not be left to the user to plough through the several forums for the Spinneret that at the moment leave me frankly confused.
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2010-11-22 08:16
    @skylight - Your right on, this is exactly the intention of Parallax with this contest. There will be simplified Web/FTP Servers soon, as well as documentation on how to use these tools.
    edited 2010-11-22 10:16
    I'm really looking forward to the "finished" product then.
    edited 2010-11-22 12:44
    There is no 'finished product'...

This module is a 'technology demonstrator' or prototype module, and it's up to whoever buys it to make what they will of it.
    If you study the schematics, you'll find that the Ethernet chip is connected both using SPI and parallell connections when one or the other would be enough. This is so that whoever buys it can test both methods of communicating with the chip and pick the one best suited to their application.(This uses up most of the available pins, though) THEN they can buy the ethernet chip (and whatever else sits around it they feel they need) and incorporate it onto a PCB together with a Propeller, using their preferred connection method and pins. (The fact that it CAN be used as part of a complete system is just because everyone at Parallax are such nice guys. )

They can also implement whichever network protocol they need, HTTP, Telnet, FTP, TFTP, SSH(well, that one's a bit of a stretch), Gopher(anyone remember that?) or their own proprietary protocols?

Maybe build a 16port serial Mux/demux set?
    Remote weather station that uploads data periodically?
    A Cookie server?
    (No, not the chocolate chip types.. fortune cookies... Yes, there's a protocol and service for it)
    LED-based scrolling-text board, with a webinterface?
    (Or it may use SMTP? Just send an email to led-panel@myoffice.com with the text you want displayed in the subject field... Imagine what the first SPAM will look like...)

So, there won't be a 'finished product', but there WILL BE a lot of really interesting code blocks you can adapt for your own purposes...
    (Ijust received my own Spinneret, so I'll be looking long and hard at the Web-server stuff already in the making)

BTW: If anyone builds that Scrolling LED system, it must default to 'Gadgetman Rules!' when no other text is scheduled to be displayed...
    (I had the idea, so I want some recognicion... )
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-22 13:17
    Gadgetman,

I think there will be complete working "packages" of code available soon that someone could use with the Spinneret to have a "finished product" type of feel. Where they won't need to code anything in spin or pasm if they don't want to. They could just load up an SD card with web content and go.

Sure, that isn't a "real finished product" but it's still going to be useful to some people without any additional hardware (except a power source), and one of probably several software packages that will be available.

Also, about the scrolling LED display idea, I think several people probably had that idea before you mentioned it, I know I did. So, I'm not sure you can claim it. :P Especially since someone already did it in 2007 with a WizNet W5100 chip even: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zg24Z8KTxA He used a PIC as the controller though.
    edited 2010-11-22 13:24
    Spoilsport...

;-)
  • obrienmobrienm Posts: 65
    edited 2010-11-22 13:25
    Gadgetman,
    Good post, Good idea - especially the part about emailing updates to the board - I like it! I am going to replace the propUSB attached to my bug queue LED board in my cubicle with the Spinneret - I will have to update to from 7-segment to hex to display your name, but I will then be able to update the display on the network instead of keeping the device close to a PC's USB port.
    http://javahardware.blogspot.com/2010/11/led-display-board-driven-by-javaxcomm.html

thank you
    /michael
    edited 2010-11-22 15:16
    Your prototyping is much neater than mine...
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-24 14:00
    skylight,
    If you are programming the Propeller on the Spinneret Web Server itself, it will require an understanding of Propeller Programming. Currently it also requires an understanding of networking protocols to use most of its functionality.

As the contest entries progress, we will collect the functions of the best open-source objects and combine them into an official firmware. When the feature set is rich enough to perform the functionality we mentioned
    in the announcement thread "New product under development — Spinneret Web Server", we will ship the Spinneret Web Servers with the firmware installed.

We will continue to sell the stand-alone Spinneret Web Server PCB as we do now, but we will also develop a kit that includes an SD card, a case, and the accessories to connect it to external devices so that it can be used in a similar manner to the PINK. Considering the quality of work that is currently going into the contest entries, it should be more powerful and easier to use than the PINK.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • obrienmobrienm Posts: 65
    edited 2010-11-24 16:46
    David,
    Thank you for the link to the original thread - I don't know whats wrong with me - I didn't see that thread until now. It looks like a very good source of requirements, design history, background and well...introduction to David. I will read through it immediately.

/Michael O'Brien
    edited 2010-11-26 14:49
    Thanks David, I'm getting very excited on seeing what you end up with and that's encouraging to know it will possibly be easier to use than the Pink.
    The main things that interest me are the low power requirements as opposed to the Pink and the mass storage possible with SD cards and hopefully the ability to maybe have access to all variables, flash as well as ram from your own web page rather than only limited access to flash variables as on the pink which was understandable as you wouldnt want to wear out the eprom on the pink itself, wear out an SD card you just throw it away and plug a new one in.