Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Directory Listing Success....Can Create Files from Browser Now — Parallax Forums

Directory Listing Success....Can Create Files from Browser Now

CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
edited 2010-11-25 10:50 in Accessories
**** Check My Last Post for Updates and Code ****

I've been playing around with Roy & Beans code, and I've taken the approach that if the page isn't on the SD card, it will list a page with a simple table of the files on the card.

It provides a link to open the file in the browser, and I would like to provide a link that would open up a page and populate a <textarea> box with the file contents.

Then we could edit these HTML files right from the browser instead of moving the SD card back and forth..and instead of Hard Coding it all from PropTool.

I have some questions on how to go forward:

1) I think a real 404 is needed - How do I make a "special" filename that if IT ONLY doesn't exist it would provide this sort of directory page

2) To populate the <textarea> input with the contents of a file, I would have to pass the filename (prob most simply in the URL) along to a dynamic page created from the prop..like this directory page.....then open the file and drop each byte in the <textarea> feild...
Then to have the option to save it..pass all that data back to another page ready to receive it and write it back to a file...makes me dizzy :)

Anyone working on something like this?

The 3rd Pic is a small .jsp file called by an HTML file...check it out!: http://unverse.net/whizzywig-cross-browser-html-editor.html

Rick
452 x 653 - 55K
765 x 564 - 32K
709 x 446 - 40K

Comments

• CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2010-11-21 13:20
    Nothing major but I worked out a few little things that were annoying me so I thought I would share:

1) Choosing DHCP or Manual IP Settings - with a 1 or 0 flag

2) Choosing to read the MAC from a file on the SD Card or Manual Settings - with a 1 or 0 flag

3) Re-Trying DHCP if it fails the first time - No changes to the driver it's just that sometimes it works in one try...and other times (prob because all of the re-loading and reseting etc) it would fail on one attempt, and I would have to reset the prop several times for it to finally catch. Now it just keeps trying, and it's quicker/easier for me that way.

Rick
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2010-11-21 15:42
    CassLan,

The DHCP protocol specifies retrying until a timeout occurs. I plan to build that into the DHCP drivers DoDHCP function. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for sharing your code for doing the mac address optionally from a file on the SD card. Saved me a little bit of work. :)
    edited 2010-11-21 17:11
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    CassLan,
    The DHCP protocol specifies retrying until a timeout occurs. I plan to build that into the DHCP drivers DoDHCP function. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for sharing your code for doing the mac address optionally from a file on the SD card. Saved me a little bit of work. :)

@Roy - I know you are working on that, you said so in your DHCP thread, and thanks for putting it up so people could play with it even though your not 100% finished with it yet, it's really awesome so far! I meant no criticism, just sharing what I'm working on. I just had to do something because the http demo that used static IP's didn't serve files off the uSD.....so I would take the uSD card out....put it in its adapter.....walk across the room to the machine that has an SD Card Slot....walk back to my workstation....Hit it via NetworkShare..Add The files....Walk back over...Take it out of the Adapter....Put it into the Spinneret....Reload the Spin Software...Doh!! I had PST open with pref not to loose focus so I can watch a browser and it at the same time...OK Disable it....Reload the Spin Software....Be Sure to hit Enable on PST so I can see what address it caught...Doh! MIssed it...Reset Spinneret....DHCPFailed...Reset Spinneret Again....DHCPFailed...Reset Spinneret Again....DHCPFailed...Reset Spinneret Again....DHCP Succeeded!...Re-load the browser...now I can see the slight change in code I made didn't work.....Time to do this all over again. I was just trying to Shave some steps off for me :)

Rick
    edited 2010-11-21 17:28
    Alright so I've made some Progress:

This WebServer code is the result of many other people's code who have been kind enough to share it as they develop their projects, as well as Kye's SDCard routines and String Routines. Thank you all.

Details:

1) if you navigate to the "/directory" page you will get a dynamic page with the contents of the SD Card

2) if you go to another page that doesn't exist (besides "/directory") you get a 404 page

3) if you go to "EDITGET.HTM" (attached) You will see a simple text edit window with a space for a filename and some file contents. When you submit this page, it will: (a) Check if that file exists-if not-it will create that file on the SDCard for you and point you to the directory page to open it op. If that filename already exists it will tell you, you can hit back..change the filename and submit again.

4) Propeller Beanie FAVICON.ICO :)

5) I lost the FATWrapper because I needed some other SDCard functions and did not want to grow the wrapper anymore.

6) Attached the "MAC_ADDR" File this code uses should you choose to load it off the SD Card.

Problems: The files created are URLEncoded, " " = "+", etc etc, I will work on this later, but I suspect that a URLEncode/URLDecode function is in the works, or will be. If not I'll write one. I just can't work on any more today.

Enjoy

Rick :)
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2010-11-21 18:50
    CassLan,
    I wasn't taking it as criticism at all. :) Just want to say it was in the works, for you or anyone else reading the thread.

I'm glad you are sharing your work in progress, too. It's improving my stuff.

I have taken Bean's parse code and extended it to cover more stuff, like variables with names other than 0 through 9. I've also made a function that parses the whole Request. We can use it to handle the various request types (GET, HEAD, POST, etc.). I'll be posting an update to my HTTP demo later tonight with it included.

Beans code is most of a uri string decode function, and you reminded me that I want to make something that does that encoding of uri strings.

Also, that favicon is great! I'm swapping it in place of the one I had!
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2010-11-22 06:57
    CassLan,
    Could I use this to overwrite a file as well? Also, if that file was a spin file and i told to prop to check the SD card at boot for code, i could push firmware upgrades??
    edited 2010-11-22 08:13
    @Roy - Looking forward to it.

@Brian - I like where you are going :) Overwriting will be implemented shortly, as well as opening existing files into this mini editor, but it's not there just yet. I will then go for uploading new files from your PC next via the browser.

As for the spin files..they would need to be compiled first, possibly done right on the prop with Sphinx? I would love to go in this direction.

Once the uploading portion is done however, maybe you could upload a precompiled SPN program like in PropDos?
    I'm not sure about the booting....we should ask Jeff about that, and Michael Park about Sphinx.

From Orienm's Ajax Demo..not needing to refresh the page to display new text...I was thinking this would be a cool way to display the output of the sphinx compiler...maybe?

Rick
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2010-11-22 23:27
    I have almost no idea of what you guys are doing, but I'm not optimistic about shoehorning Sphinx in since it uses six cogs and a lot of main memory.
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2010-11-23 11:13
    This may be a REALLY long shot, but....

I'm not sure I follow this, but is the idea here is to take a spin file that exists on the SD card and have it compiled into a binary image (or EEPROM) that could then be loaded into the prop?

It seems like the trouble here lies in taking a spin file and compiling it. What about resurrecting and idea OldBitCollector had years ago? At least I think it was OBC. Since this device is networked couldn't the spin file be sent to some on-line "PropTool" with the result (the binary file) returned to the device? It could then be stored on the SD card as RUN_ME.bin and the system rebooted or some other method for loading the new code into memory.

This model has been followed by MBed with their C compiler.

Just a thought; and one that I have no idea how hard it would be to implement.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2010-11-23 11:51
    My idea is not to compile on the prop but to be able to send a new program to the prop via FTP to the SD card.
    edited 2010-11-23 12:48
    @mpark - Thats ok neither do I :) Actually what I was thinking about was a several step process:
    1) Edit a spin source code file via webbrowser and save it.
    2) Issue a command via webbrowser to reboot, and upon rebooting have sphinx compile spin source code mentioned in step 1, with the condition that sphinx would save its usually displayed text output to a text file. Then sphinx would reboot the propeller.
    3) The propeller would come back online with its webserver, and display sphinx's output, if all compiled well, you could click to restart the propeller with the newly compiled code, or you could choose to do something else.

@pgbpsu - I think that its definately possible, and we will likely see it happening soon.

@Brian - Sure, getting the file to the Prop is something I'm working on via HTTP Interface. Having the prop reboot and load a certain pre compiled program, thats been done so I dont see the issue there.

I wish I had more free time to play with the Spinneret

Rick
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-24 08:19
    I've taken a day or two to ponder the implications of this and perhaps it's time to work on a client package for the Spinneret for this. It appears that we have enough pins for a keyboard (1pin object) and video. Heck for that matter we could use a single pin for a N64 controller.

I'm picturing a simple OS and maybe some networking gaming?

OBC
    edited 2010-11-25 10:20
    Well I took care of the file saving issues, the files save without the URL encoding. But as of right now the files have to be small due to the nature of GET. I'm going to try to play with the POST examples posted by oths and see how that goes.

Then I will expand the directory to be more of a file manager, Edit, delete, rename...etc.

@OBC - do you mean a web browser on the prop? That would be interesting.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-25 10:50
    I'm not sure a "full" web browser would be compatible on the Prop. Certainly not flash for sure. I'm not sure I'd want a full browser. It would be nice to have enough to handle the same level of rendering as my cell phone. Anything at the level to display ads is too far. :)

Something like XHTML Basic would be nice.

I'm going off track on this thread, perhaps another should be started.

OBC