Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Coffee beans, ballons and robots — Parallax Forums

Coffee beans, ballons and robots

AImanAIman Posts: 531
edited 2010-11-22 12:20 in Robotics
Well, most of my tools are gone. Someone stole them which means I can't go forward with my robotic hand for now. Fortunatly the guys working with me were contractors. I guess I better get upto speed on programing...

Anyway, all that being said I thought people may want to look at some links that would inspire.

This one is a link to a robotic hand that DARPA made using coffee beans, a ballon and lots of air.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/darpa-robot-coffee-balloon,news-8470.html

Here are links to articles on DARPAs robotic hand

http://www.google.com/search?q=darpa+robotic+hand&hl=en&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=gLHlTLyJE43QnAfIhp2RDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CCEQqwQwBQ

And for those who want to compete, here is a link to the DARPA Competition rules

https://www.fbo.gov/download/43d/43d6de2bf57c65d9f342d499d5442d2f/DARPA-BAA-10-28_ARM-Software_02Feb10.pdf

Enjoy.

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-11-18 15:56
    It sucks to have your tools stolen, my condolences. Happened to me last year. Thieves got away with around $7,000 of my nicest, shiniest tools. If you ever come across a tool with "W9" engraved on it, let me know.

Rich H
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2010-11-18 19:23
    You have my sympathy as well. I know your pain. I had my tool case, multimeter, tek scope and a lot of parts in my van when it was broken in to. I was lucky though. The driver side window was smashed and the theif took only one case. It had my small vacuum cleaner, spray cleaner, solvents, cleaning cloths, etc.. Total value under a hundred dollars. When I reported it to the police I couldn't keep from laughing at the thought of the theifs reaction when he opened the case.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2010-11-19 08:22
    Ya it sucks. They actually cut through the locks on the door. Currently my tools are down to a handful of basics.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-11-21 02:41
    Don't give up your robot hand project. They stole ALL my tools too, an entire garage filled with everything from the past 100 years including my Father's and Grandfather's tools and all the power machines. Judging by the number of other people who had their tools stolen too, it makes you wonder what this world is coming too. Maybe humans raised by wolves with no moral values.. Now I have just a tiny hobby tool that I can carry with me, a soldering iron and a Parallax dual screwdriver. God bless Parallax.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2010-11-22 12:20
    Your tool collection sounds similar to mine...

I don't intend to give up, there are a lot of years in this project. For the last while my roll has been very focused on finding requested materials. When this project started it was with the BS2 and the guy working with me was very bright. Since then the Prop became the focus. Truth be told I have virtually no Prop experience because programming was pushed off elsewhere.

My point to this rambling is that I need to get up to speed on programming and this is a good time to work on building my Prop software knoweldge.