Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC STAMP circuits — Parallax Forums

BASIC STAMP circuits

BritannicusBritannicus Posts: 98
edited 2010-11-18 14:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

Having now got my first Stamp I'm totally chuffed with what I can make it do on a board of education ...

Problem is I now want to build a circuit that doesn't just rely on wires stuck in a breadboard so I want to build a circuit I can plug my STAMP module into without blowing it up (I worry about these things !). I'll program the STAMP using the board, then the intention is to transfer it to the built circuit.

I'm starting with using it to drive servos, with a simple push button to move the servo to start with. I think I understand the circuit, but it sounds too simple and I'm a bit of a mug at this. - if I rig it as follows :

P outputs - these just connect to the servos which wil lhave their own 6V supply separate to the stamp.

Sout - no connection
Sin - no connection
ATTN - no connection

both Vss pins I connect to -ve terminal of my 6 volt supply

Vin - simply connect to the positive terminal

Res - No connection
Vdd - no connection

Is this going to work ? - sounds too simple - are there some examples I could look at ?

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-11-18 09:53
    Welcome to the forums.

You've got it pretty well figured out. Note that you won't be able to program the stamp without Sout, Sin, Attn, Vss connected, but I think you understand that.

Using Vin uses the on-board regulator which is quite limited in the current it can supply. Once you have projects with many outputs on at once, you will move to a dedicated 5 volt supply into Vdd.

I use the Stamp Carrier board for many smaller projects as it provides a socket for the chip, a programming connector and a good-sized construction area, all for a reasonable price.

Cheers,
  • BritannicusBritannicus Posts: 98
    edited 2010-11-18 12:31
    Thanks Tom,

I think I get it - and yes understood about the programming inputs, bu tyou're given me a bit mor courage to flip the power switch !
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-11-18 14:37
    Very easy to build your own board. Here's how I do it: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125692