Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Limit on Materials — Parallax Forums

Limit on Materials

LegonigelLegonigel Posts: 12
edited 2010-12-06 15:06 in Announcements
Hey,
What limits are there on the materials for the competition, because it wasn't clear in the description if there were any limits?
Could I use motors? Could I use a microcontroller like the Lego NXT?

Thanks,
Nigel

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-11-16 18:23
    I read the rules to allow ANY microcontroller and LED's at a minimum, which, to me, would also allow a motor or other external device.
    Materials: The submittal must use a microcontroller and LEDs at a minimum. There is no restriction on the type of microcontroller you choose to use for the project, nor is it a factor in the judging criteria. All of these materials must be supplied by the student, parents or a teacher.

http://www.parallax.com/go/holidaychallenge

Jim
    Legonigel wrote: »
    Hey,
    What limits are there on the materials for the competition, because it wasn't clear in the description if there were any limits?

Thanks,
    Nigel
  • LegonigelLegonigel Posts: 12
    edited 2010-11-16 18:25
    That is what I thought I just wanted to confirm it.

Thanks,
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2010-11-17 09:42
    Legonigel wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks,
    Nigel

Just to confirm what's been said above - your choice of a microcontroller has no bearing in the judging criteria whatsoever. Not only are the bulk of the funds provided by EETimes, we're considerate towards everybody and their desire to use their favorite processor.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • robblesrobbles Posts: 3
    edited 2010-11-19 13:20
    Hi - a couple more questions here about materials:
    • Are premade LED control circuits, boards or ICs allowed? Two examples I was thinking of would be Shiftbrites and Rainbowduino
    • Does everything for the project have to be build from scratch (i.e. LEDs, microcontrollers, basic electronic components) or can we re-use parts of old projects like microcontroller boards and enclosures?

Thanks!
    edited 2010-11-25 22:43
    Anyone?

Sorry to be so insistent, but I really do need to know the rules here since I'll probably change my idea and application based on the answer...
  • Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2010-11-30 17:32
    robbles wrote: »
    Hi - a couple more questions here about materials:
    • Are premade LED control circuits, boards or ICs allowed? Two examples I was thinking of would be Shiftbrites and Rainbowduino
    • Does everything for the project have to be build from scratch (i.e. LEDs, microcontrollers, basic electronic components) or can we re-use parts of old projects like microcontroller boards and enclosures?

Thanks!

I just wanted to post a reply so you don’t think that your post is being ignored.

Actually your questions are pretty hard to answer. I checked with Jessica and she is checking with other people in Parallax and we’re following up beyond Parallax to make sure we don’t give you the wrong answer.

As a side note (unofficial reply to your question) I’d say that the more preexisting material you use the less value in the eyes of the judges the project will have. I don’t mean that you should buy new LEDs instead of using the ones you already have. I mean that judges will be grading how much (brain) effort you put in the project so if you use more “plug and play” material you’d get lower grading than somebody developing the whole project from scratch (as in making his own LED controller).

If the contest authorities approve the use of the LED displays you mentioned (they’re intelligent displays that already have a microcontroller or some circuits to handle the LEDs) you will have to be very creative in how you use them so you can show off your talent and the pre-made hardware doesn’t obscure your creativity.

I hope this makes sense, but please wait for the official reply once it comes back from the contest authorities.
    edited 2010-12-01 00:12
    Thanks for the reply.

I've got a couple ideas that don't involve using them, so I'll start thinking about those instead for the time being. If it turns out that it's okay to use the intelligent displays, I have some lying around so I can always add them on to whatever I build!
  • JonTitusJonTitus Posts: 193
    edited 2010-12-06 15:06
    I agree with Aristides--show your creativity. As a judge, I'll look at what each entrant or team created and how they used their materials and "brain power." An entry won't get credit for buying an off-the-shelf scrolling-message device and programming it to say "Happy Holidays, nor would I give high marks to an entry that bought a set of LED rope lights and mounted them on a cardboard Christmas tree.