Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Timothy Swieter's TCP and web server demo — Parallax Forums

Timothy Swieter's TCP and web server demo

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2010-12-21 17:42 in Accessories
I found on youtube that Tim has a UDP, TCP and web server demo.

I found the UDP demo on the Obex, but I cannot find the TCP or web server demo source code.

Anyone know where it is...

Bean

Comments

• DynamoBenDynamoBen Posts: 366
    edited 2010-11-16 14:43
    I'm not certain if this is the code he used but it is a good start. Go here and check out the code examples, there is a spin webserver.

http://www.averydigital.com/products.html
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-16 15:52
    Bean,
    Timothy uploaded both SPI and parallel versions of the driver to the Object Exchange, but the SPI version only has the UDP demo. Try the parallel version at http://obex.parallax.com/objects/615/ for the TCP and web demos.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-16 16:03
    David Carrier,

Does it make any sense with the Spinneret to use the SPI version of the driver? The extra pins used by the parallel driver are all wired up, and not using them doesn't allow them to be used for other things since they are not exposed on any jumpers or headers anywhere on the board. I ask, just in case I am missing something...
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-16 19:01
    Roy,
    The SPI connection is there so that you can develop code using either interface. The Spinneret Web Server can be used as a development platform to evaluate the Propeller and W5100 chipset before developing a custom board. By sharing the pins with the parallel connections we were able to add the feature adding only a select pin.

The reason we didn't bring out the potentially unused parallel pins is more a matter of size and layout. We wanted to create the Spinneret Web Server at a very low cost in a small form factor using a two-layer, single-sided PCB. Bringing out the extra I/O pins would have added to the size and/or cost.

— David Carrier
    edited 2010-11-16 19:36
    I had figured that cost was the reason the extra possibly unused pins were not brought out to a header. It's not a concern for me at this time since the things I may do with the Spinneret all can be done with either no external hardware or using the available pins on J1.

I hadn't thought about the Spinneret as a development platform to evaluate using the W5100 chip on another board. Now it makes sense why you set it up like that.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2010-11-16 20:01
    ... using a two-layer, single-sided PCB.
    — David Carrier

I thought two layer means double sided PCB?
    edited 2010-11-16 20:18
    William,

I think he means single sided as far as components on the board.
  • obrienmobrienm Posts: 65
    edited 2010-11-20 13:53
    Timothy,
    Your HTTP Server demo is excellent and is so far the basis of my server code. It is working flawless.

There is a very minor typo on line 141:
    If any of you have noticed that the user LED was not lighting - I use it as a non-PST error condition flag.
    The LED pin should be 23 (both the LED and AUX2 are defined as 26 in v001)

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/615/
    http://obex.parallax.com/objects/download/aux/82/
    Brilldea_W5100_TCP_Server_Echo_Demo_indirect_Ver001.spin
    _LED          = 26            'UI - combo LED and buttuon

to
    _LED          = 23            'UI - combo LED and button

The top Spinneret is running the new code with the yellow user LED, the bottom one is running Ver001.

thank you Timothy
    /michael
  • zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
    edited 2010-12-21 17:42
    Hi Roy,

I agree with you on the pins for SPI vs Parallel and the abscence of jumpers.

I suspect Parallel is there if you need performance.

My plan is to write solely for SPI connectivity to rescue the Parallel pins (probably cut them at the prop QFP chip initially) and then make the case that future Spinnerets have a header that you can either jumper to the W5100 or tap off to "other" things ;-) This would be the logical next step for the Parallax product as the current version is simply too restrictive in it's current design (Phil, not to say it's not a good design - it certainly is sir - but it's a bit of a Camel (a horse designed by a comittee) trying to be everything for everybody and thus limiting is creative re-use).