Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basics — Parallax Forums

Basics

BruceWilliamsBruceWilliams Posts: 1
edited 2010-11-18 10:24 in Accessories
After looking at the board I'm still not sure how to use it. Could someone outline (fundamentally, not in code) how I would transmit a web page from the on board propeller?
I can see from the info files offered how to set the mac and ip. But how do I get an html page out of the prop and transmitted?
Maybe I just missed something?

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-11-17 13:34
    ...Could someone outline (fundamentally, not in code) how I would transmit a web page from the on board propeller?...

Don't feel bad if you're feeling lost. You might be lost but you're not alone. This product has been released without any tutorials or plug-and-chug code, and, instead of being ready to use out of the box, it's basic tools are in the process of being "crowdsourced" as part of the ongoing contest Parallax is sponsoring. Luckily for those of us who are less knowledgeable about such devices, forum gurus and contest entrants are busy working on code and, hopefully, the documentation to help those of us lower in the food chain learn how to work with it.

I guess the option for Parallax would have been to develop canned software for it, but then I suppose that would have caused the release date to get pushed back maybe several months(?) and all these maestros would be waiting around twiddling their maestro thumbs while they had to wait, chomping on the bit for the hardware.

I wonder if there's some kind of sign-up board someplace to help reduce the chances of gurus duplicating their efforts??? I'd hate to see people bit-banging their hearts out on a particular process only to find somebody else was doing the exact same thing.
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-11-17 13:39
    I wonder if there's some kind of sign-up board someplace to help reduce the chances of gurus duplicating their efforts??? I'd hate to see people bit-banging their hearts out on a particular process only to find somebody else was doing the exact same thing.

I assume this is part of the reason they request that people announce their contest entries in a post. From the rules:

# Start a thread on the official Parallax Spinneret Web Server forum stating that you are entering the design contest
    # Include a brief description of your project in the post

If everyone announces their entries, there may be less duplication. Although...lots of people (myself included) succumb to a "not invented here" mentality sometimes.
    edited 2010-11-17 13:48
    schill wrote: »

If everyone announces their entries, there may be less duplication. ...

I'm sure the intent of the contest entry announcements was to reduce duplication, but while a contest entry might declare the final product, it doesn't necessarily declare the fine details of the approach, so I suspect a whole lotta software duplication is going on right now.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-17 14:05
    30% of the score (the largest chunk) on the contest is Community Participation. To quote the contest rules page:
    Entrants are expected to help others and contribute code on the forums or Object Exchange and use community resources. The final code should have been created by building on community code by adding unique capabilities.

This will help with the duplicate effort issue. I have already posted a driver for the RTC chip and my code in progress for doing DHCP. I believe others will do the same and we can all share work instead of repeating it. Or at least reduce the amount of redundant work by starting with something someone else did and adding what we need (and then sharing that new variation).

At least that is my plan!
    edited 2010-11-17 14:16
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    ...I have already posted a driver for the RTC chip and my code in progress for doing DHCP. ...

That's great! Your inputs will definitely get things moving. :)

But maybe there should be a sticky for which code, etc. people have finished, or are working on??? Something so that those joining in a month or two from now can run their eyeball down the sticky list and see what tools are already available? To my newbie brain, it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of spinneret-specific code to look at and learn from rather than wandering around the OBEX in my usual clueless manner.

Would a stickified list of accomplishments therefore be appropriate for this?
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-17 14:44
    Hey that is a great idea! Maybe we can get David Carrier to sticky a thread with links to all the threads that provide drivers or spinneret specific code.
    edited 2010-11-18 10:24
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Hey that is a great idea! Maybe we can get David Carrier to sticky a thread with links to all the threads that provide drivers or spinneret specific code.

Okay, I'm going to make this suggestion to Parallax on its suggestion forum.
    :)