Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[Contest Entry] PVP Solar Inverter Data Logger and Web Server — Parallax Forums

[Contest Entry] PVP Solar Inverter Data Logger and Web Server

Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
edited 2010-11-16 11:46 in Accessories
My solar power inverter (made by PVPowered) has a data module (PVM 1010) on it that connects to the internet and they have a website that displays information from it. However, their system is kind of limited and only updates in 15 minute intervals. Their options for displaying the data is also very basic, you can only look at graphs for the current day, the previous day, or the previous week.

They have an alternate method of communicating with the device on your local network via UDP, and this method gives you some extra details and can be queried at much higher rates (pretty much as fast as you want to poll it for data).

So, I am going to code up a data logger to poll this module, saving the data to the SDCard. Then, I'll make it serve up a web site allowing the user to view the data in various ways including graphs and tables. The web site will allow you to configure the logger for one or more modules and the polling rate(s).

I plan the build data logging and web serving portions of this project in such a way that anyone could plug in a different data logger (for some other device or custom hardware) and easily make it work with the web site to display the data.