Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Confused about "Spinneret Web Server" capabilities — Parallax Forums

Confused about "Spinneret Web Server" capabilities

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2010-11-16 10:10 in Accessories
I'm confused about what exactly the "Spinneret Web Server" does.

The product description says "Firmware not included". So does it do anything "out of the box" ?

I guess my question is "Is it a web server or not ?". Is firmware available to make it a web server ? Even to just serve a web page that says "Hello World".

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I'm just not understanding what the capabilities of this thing are.

Bean

Comments

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-16 09:47
    Bean,

The Spinneret Web Server out of the box does very little. There is a Driver on the obex for interfacing with the Wiznet 5100 chip, and you can use one of several available the SDCard drivers to access that part. Also, I posted a driver on this forum for the RTC chip (it'll go on the obex soon).

Parallax released the Spinneret hardware with a lower price and sooner than otherwise possible because they didn't spend the resources to develop full fledged firmware. Instead, they are having a contest to have the community work together to make software for the device. The contest encourages everyone to work together and help each other, instead of keeping their work secret until the end. I think it's an awesome idea.

It's something where they are "buying in" to the whole open source hardware/software thing.

Anyway, I've decided on my project finally, so I'll be doing the entry post today. My project entails making the Spinneret a web page server and data logger. I've got DHCP working, and will have it serving simple web pages in a week or so (the holiday is going to slow me down :/ ). So once that's working, I'll be posting it here for everyone to see and use. As the contest picks up steam, there will be a lot of software posted for the Spinneret, it'll be really cool!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2010-11-16 10:03
    Okay, that explains alot. So it's really an ethernet "tool". It can do many different things depending on how you program it.

I assume it could be used to send e-mails too ? I can see alot of possible uses if it can.

Bean
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-16 10:10
    It is a general purpose ethernet connection, you can do RAW IP, UDP, and TCP with it. So all of the standard internet protocols are possible including email (SMTP, POP3, etc.).