Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Powering up your Spinneret without releasing the magic smoke. — Parallax Forums

Powering up your Spinneret without releasing the magic smoke.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2010-11-20 09:45 in Accessories
Ok, if a picture is worth a thousand words, perhaps this will keep me and others from letting the magic smoke out of our Spinneret boards. Could one of the experts (/me points at Phil :) ) take a look at this and verify it's correctness?

Edit: Updated attachment from comments here. It's correct now.

Thanks!
OBC
674 x 617 - 76K

Comments

• kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2010-11-15 21:16
    Is there a reason you don't trust the schematic? You'd think it's up-to-date ...
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-15 22:03
    Sure, I trust it...

But it doesn't exactly set the whole picture 100% here, and by the looks of things for a few others too.

Refer to my avatar and you'll understand completely. :)

OBC
  • th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
    edited 2010-11-15 22:26
    Here is how you distinguish between the Pins on J1 and J6, and please correct me if I am wrong.

We know that on J6 PIN R is Supply and PIN B is ground. Using a multimeter measure resistance between B/J6 and J1 either of the pins you think could be ground. The lowest resistance is the ground pin. This is the same test for R/J6 and 12/J1.

From myself measuring the resistance shows me that J1 is counted starting with PIN1 and then moving to the right for PIN 2. Now I still may be wrong but that is what the multimeter is telling me.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-11-16 03:00
    th3jester is correct. The pin numbering on that connector alternates rows.
    1490 x 461 - 277K
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-11-16 05:55
    A nice diagram of the pinout for this connector should be added to the documentation (not just the schematic). I have also spent time figuring out "what's what" and double checking to make sure I've got things correct.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-11-16 06:27
    The numbering sequence Andrew mentioned is a universal standard for that type of connector.
    edited 2010-11-16 07:19
    Andrew's comment made the most sense to me. Thanks Andrew.

I've updated the original post with a new attachment. I *think* it's right now.

OBC
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-16 09:36
    The illustrations in this thread are correct. A couple additional notes:

1. Both SCL and SDA are pulled up, too.

2. Pin 12, the one labeled 4-9V, should be a regulated +5V whenever a daughtercard is plugged in. This means that, when using a daughtercard, the power provided at J6 has to be +5V.

3. If you're not using another daughtercard, Parallax's PWR-I/O-DB daughterboard is a handy way to power the Spinneret from a wall transformer and to provide six powered servo-style 3-pin connectors. The catch is that all three pins on the right-hand side of its J3 header have to be connected together. This entails either two very-low-profile jumpers, wire-wrapping, etc., to pull off. Also the board provides no series resistance to the servo headers' signal pins, so you have to provide external current limiting for 5V logic coming into the the board. If I had this board to do over again, I would address both these issues. But it's still usable as-is with the workaround I mentioned and some common sense.

-Phil
    edited 2010-11-16 09:51
    3. If you're not using another daughtercard, Parallax's PWR-I/O-DB daughterboard is a handy way to power the Spinneret from a wall transformer and to provide six powered servo-style 3-pin connectors. The catch is that all three pins on the right-hand side of its J3 header have to be connected together. This entails either two very-low-profile jumpers, wire-wrapping, etc., to pull off. Also the board provides no series resistance to the servo headers' signal pins, so you have to provide external current limiting for 5V logic coming into the the board. If I had this board to do over again, I would address both these issues. But it's still usable as-is with the workaround I mentioned and some common sense.

I like the idea of using this board - I just received a few to use with my Spinnerets. The 3-pin headers are pretty useful.

I just wanted to note that the J3 header is a 2mm header (unlike the 0.1 inch header used for the 3-pin connections). If it were 0.1 inch, it would be pretty straightforward for me to build a 3-way plug since I have lots of 0.1 inch hardware around. 2mm makes it a little more difficult. I'll probably either solder the connections or remove the header altogether (I don't know if my wire-wrap tool will fit between the pins).
    edited 2010-11-16 11:36
    Here are some other options for using the PWR-I/O-DB:

1. The low-profile jumpers I mentioned are these. They can be stacked, as shown here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75341&stc=1&d=1289935082

2. Get one of these header connectors and solder the pins together:

950503-6102-AR_sml.jpg

3. Solder a wire to the bottom of the board (shown in red below) and jumper as shown:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75342&stc=1&d=1289935082

'Don't know why I didn't think of this when I laid out the board. D'oh! But the idea was that the motherboard would always have a +5V regulator of its own, which would be fed by the Vin connection. Then, along came the Propeller Backpack and Spinneret, neither of which had room for one. Oh, well. Next time! :)

-Phil
    801 x 667 - 95K
    540 x 372 - 11K
  • obrienmobrienm Posts: 65
    edited 2010-11-16 16:27
    Orbitcollector,
    As usual your posts are very helpful. I was able to get 5V power from a previously unused MOBO PWR/IO #28301 board as shown - by referencing your schematic graphic at the top of this post.

Phil,
    I will try your jumper so I can connect the two boards together directly - a better approach - thank you

Also, just an observation on idle operating temperature where the WIZnet W5100 chip stabilizes at around 49.0 c after 20 min (28 above ambient), the propeller idles at 27c - we should be alright as my XMOS XS1-G4 runs at 58c at max speed and seems ok.

thank you both.
    /michael
    edited 2010-11-16 16:42
    obrienm:

I think if you disconnect the white wire from your cable, you can plug the female plug on the end directly into J6 (next to the ethernet jack) - you won't need the extra wires. Just check the contact order.

That's where I'm connecting my power now (until I mod the motherboard power board).
    edited 2010-11-16 18:32
    Schill,
    Good idea, I didn't notice that J6 matches the I/O headers on the PWR/IO daughterboard. These connectors also match.
    Thank you for the info, appreciated.
    /michael
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-16 19:08
    Michael,
    The W5100 will draw more power and get much warmer when you don't have it connected to an Ethernet connection. If the W5100 cannot establish a connection, it will turn its output drivers up to 11 and keep trying. Once it establishes a connection it will determine the minimum power level needed to establish a robust connection and turn down the drivers.

— David Carrier
    Parallax inc.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2010-11-16 19:38
    David,

I assume that means that if it's going over a longer cable or a lower quality cable it'll use more power and run hotter than if you have a short good cable, right?
    edited 2010-11-16 19:56
    @obrienm

Thats perfect! Looks like powering up the Spinneret from the servo head of a Propeller Protoboard would work fine here as well. Nice regulated 5 volts and I don't have to worry about the signal wire being connected.

OBC
    edited 2010-11-16 20:42
    David,
    This is good configuration info. As you mentioned, yes, I noticed a 20% drop in both temperature and corresponding power when connected to ethernet - normal levels. In my case I tested 5.0v and 7.5v from a bench supply into J6. I observed the following.
    Without connected ethernet
    0.19A @ 7.5V = 1.4W @ 51c
    0.19A @ 5V = 0.95W @ 51c

With ethernet (50ft CAT6 to a Gigabit router)
    0.16A @ 7.5V = 1.2W @ 42c
    0.16A @ 5V = 0.8 @ 42c

As @Roy mentions, a lower drop would likely occur if I could use/stretch my 1ft cable long enough instead.
    @OrbitCollector, thanks for the idea about power from the proto board.
    ..that reminded me that the mobo cards mount on the VGA connector holes on both the protoboards. I don't know if the fact that the holes match on the protoboard was intentional in the past but the Spinneret happens to mount exactly across the protoboard very nicely except that it will need larger standoffs to not block 3 of the 4 headers on the protoboard - here are some photos.
    thank you
    /michael
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-11-16 22:45
    Andrew's comment made the most sense to me. Thanks Andrew. I've updated the original post with a new attachment. I *think* it's right now.
    OBC

OBC, No problem, glad I could help. This sort of polarity determination occurs nearly daily by me and my staff at work when customers send us new products.
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2010-11-19 12:02
    Thats a Great Diagram OBC!

I don't have any of the mini pin connectors, but I discovered that if you take a standard snap-off connector of 5 pins, and remove the middle 3 pins, the two ends line up with each side of a 6 pin mini! (See Pics)

This may be common knowledge to many of you but it was a pleasant surprise to me :)
    If this was done intentionally it's verycool and thoughtful.

So to solve my eventual plugging this thing in backwards, I decided to make it so I wouldn't have to remove the pins from the spinneret, and use a barrel connector, to a barrel connector which is fed by a 5V wall adapter. This way I can disconnect the power without taking out the pins out.

And now that the Prop Tool see's the Spinnerett, its time to code :)

Rick
    1600 x 1200 - 502K
    1600 x 1200 - 413K
    1600 x 1200 - 504K
    1600 x 1200 - 421K
    1600 x 1200 - 346K
    1600 x 1200 - 429K
    edited 2010-11-19 13:03
    CassLan,

It's an interesting idea, for sure. But, as I've cautioned before, the daughterboard socket is not designed to accept 0.025" square pins. (A 2mm header uses 0.020" pins.) It's possible to permanently spring the connector leaves by doing so, rendering the socket unreliable for use with daughterboards in the future.

-Phil
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2010-11-19 14:16
    Good Point Phil,

I'll have to get something a bit more proper, but this seemed better than sticking jumper wires into the socket
  • Ding-BattyDing-Batty Posts: 301
    edited 2010-11-20 09:45
    You might be able to use 0.1" machined pins instead -- if I recall, they are 0.018" in diameter, round instead of square.

Like these from SparkFun (just a convenient link -- similar pins are available lots of places).