Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smelly....could mean trouble. — Parallax Forums

Smelly....could mean trouble.

th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
edited 2010-11-16 09:20 in Accessories
My power connections: 5.9V on PIN 2 of J1 and GND on PIN 12 of J1. Voltage is coming from a wall outlet plug adapter rated at 5.9V, 375 mA. I was having a problem with my Prop-plug not connecting again and I noticed a funny smell. So I started to very careful feel for any heat off the components on the Spinneret. Heat (noticeable) was coming from the W5100 and that common electronics smell when they are about to burn up. I turned the power off immediately. Is this a concern? I was only running the simple webpage "hello world" code.

Thank You,
Matthew Eckman

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-15 19:13
    Which pin do you consider to be pin 2, and which pin 12? See this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=127086

(Maybe the next batch should have some silkscreening on J1.)

-Phil
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-15 20:12
    th3jester wrote: »
    My power connections: 5.9V on PIN 2 of J1 and GND on PIN 12 of J1. Voltage is coming from a wall outlet plug adapter rated at 5.9V, 375 mA. I was having a problem with my Prop-plug not connecting again and I noticed a funny smell. So I started to very careful feel for any heat off the components on the Spinneret. Heat (noticeable) was coming from the W5100 and that common electronics smell when they are about to burn up. I turned the power off immediately. Is this a concern? I was only running the simple webpage "hello world" code.

Thank You,
    Matthew Eckman

Matthew, if you can't return the smell back to the Spinneret we will replace it for you. Everybody should have a positive experience with this product, even if we have some trouble with connections now and then.

Let me know how it works out kgracey@parallax.com (no PM please).

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
    edited 2010-11-15 21:16
    I tested the pins on J1 and compared them with J6 to figure out what is ground and power. I have attached an actual photo of my connections . Also the diagram I drew my connections on is attached.

MAJOR CORRECTION ON IMAGES - sorry, I took apart my wires and just hooked them up real quick to take the photo. I have them backwards in the photo I attached. Thankfully I didn't connect power with it like that...phew. I switched it around and it powers on. So from the real photo the red alligator clip is actually ground and the black is actually power, sorry for the confusion.

I haven't been able to figure out my connectivity issues with the computer yet, sometimes it recognizes it and other times it doesn't. I believe I have eliminated the power source being a problem so this just leaves a bad USB cable, a bad Prop-plug, or an intermittent connection on the Spinneret. I am going to further diagnose this problem. Ha, it could just end up being human error.

Thank you, Ken, for being understanding, I will let you know how things turn out.

Regards,
    Matthew Eckman
    1800 x 1200 - 275K
    1370 x 527 - 126K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-16 09:20
    Matthew, those are the right connections, BTW.

-Phil