Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Faster Baud — Parallax Forums

Faster Baud

SiCCSiCC Posts: 21
edited 2010-11-19 19:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

Working on a data logger project. I have it take measurements on a couple POTS, works great. Got my GPS in the mail recently, and having trouble working it into my project. The BS2 cant seem to handle 9600 SERIN at all, and 4800 accurately. The chip only goes down to 4800. At 4800, it can only receive about 50% of the NMEA sentence.

Found this thread, http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=123897&highlight=9600+baud , sounds like the BS2px can handle a higher baud.

Wanted to ask you guys before I plunk down more money. should I try the BS2px or goto a different controller?

Heres my project specs:

Receive a NMEA RMC sentence.
Measure at least 2 POTS.
Write data to a Thumb Drive (was going to try the Parallax USB)

And it needs to do all of this 2-5x a second.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-14 20:49
    The BS2px is indeed faster than the other Stamps and should handle 9600 Baud. The BS2 cannot reliably receive at 9600 Baud, works best at 2400 Baud for receiving formatted stuff. It should be able to handle 4800 Baud though if you're careful about your coding.

I have a bias toward using a Propeller for any application where speed and buffered serial I/O seem important for success. You can use Parallax's USB Memory Stick Datalogger or you can use an SD card or microSD card directly for storing the data for transfer to a PC. The Prop can also read pots easily.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-11-15 05:51
    From personal experience,the BS2px or BS2sx will give good service at 9600.

Neither has a true serial buffer so programming has to make sure the processor is waiting for the string when it comes along.

Are you sure the GPS will give readings at 5x a second? Not all GPS's have that high a repeat capability.

Cheers,
  • SiCCSiCC Posts: 21
    edited 2010-11-19 19:15
    stamptrol wrote: »
    From personal experience,the BS2px or BS2sx will give good service at 9600.

Neither has a true serial buffer so programming has to make sure the processor is waiting for the string when it comes along.

Are you sure the GPS will give readings at 5x a second? Not all GPS's have that high a repeat capability.

Cheers,

thanks guys.

it will do at least 4x/second hooked up to my laptop. i have restricted it to only NMEA RMC sentences and i just watch the time stamp as it comes in. i believe it will be ok at 9600 baud, but the chip goes up to 57000.