Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Run program without stamp connected? — Parallax Forums

Run program without stamp connected?

ctdahlectdahle Posts: 29
edited 2010-11-14 19:36 in BASIC Stamp
Is there any way to run a Pbasic program without a BS connected to the computer?

For example, recently I was tutoring some students who were testing to see whether their closed algorithm to find the nth element in the sequence (1,2,4,7,11...) matched the iterative solution.

We (OK, I actually) wrote a short program in Python and were able to quickly generate the first 1000 elements in the sequence.

Since the kids have had a chance to play around with BOE-BOTS and already know their way around the Pbasic editor, they could have done this on their own using one of the classroom computers and viewed the result in a DEBUG terminal. In such a case, the stamp itself is not really necessary.

Since my BOE-BOTS are all borrowed from the nearby college, they are not always in the room, so I am wondering---

Where physical output such as a blinking light or moving servo is not required, is there any way to just run a Pbasic program without having a stamp connected to the computer?

More broadly, because my kids have to share the available BOE-BOTS, is there a way that the kids can test and tweak their code (using copious DEBUG statements for example) by running their programs even when a BOE is not available?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-14 07:24
    Yes, there is a way, but it's not free. The "starter kit" for the BS2 is about $160.

See here and here.
  • ctdahlectdahle Posts: 29
    edited 2010-11-14 09:02
    Thanks Mike,

1) Really cool, I could virtually construct just about any project. I want it!
    2) Far more sophisticated than what I had in mind (and more than what I need for 11-12 year olds).
    3) $$$$ Ouch!!

Probably I can find some sort of generic BASIC IDE that would allow the kids to write simple basic programs for instances where they don't need a physical output.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-11-14 13:48
    Have a look at robot basic, it's a free basic programing lang.
    -dan
    http://www.robotbasic.org/
  • ctdahlectdahle Posts: 29
    edited 2010-11-14 19:36
    Thanks Dan, I'll have a look.