Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinnernet Problem — Parallax Forums

Spinnernet Problem

th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
edited 2010-11-12 06:22 in Accessories
I received the Spinneret yesterday and am not able to load any program onto it. Details below:

- using J1 Pin 1 for power (3.3 V) and pin 2 for ground.
- using the PropPlug (I double checked to make sure it is connected correctly)
- any time I try to load the driver from the OBEX the Propeller Tool tells me no Propeller chip found
- I have doubled checked the PropPlug on a different circuit with a different Propeller chip and it works fine

Anyone else had this problem? Is my Spinneret module bunk?

Thank You,
Matthew Eckman

Comments

• th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
    edited 2010-11-11 11:14
    This is from the Spinneret Web Server Manual, under the section Getting Started
    "There are three methods for powering the Spinneret Web Server, using either J1 or J6. To provide power
    from J1, connect pin 2 to ground, and either pin 1 to 3.0 to 3.6 VDC, or Pin 12 to 4.0 to 9.0 VDC. When
    providing power from pin 12, the voltage will be output on J6 for both power and I/O."

This tells me it can be either 3.0 to 3.6 V or 4.0 to 9.0 V. I will try the second voltage. Do you think the 9.0 V max is very exact? I have a 9V battery yet when I measure the voltage its at 10 V. Hmmm...
    edited 2010-11-11 11:30
    Nevermind....

I connected the 9V battery to Pin R and ground to Pin B. Works fine now. Maybe I wasn't counting J1 correctly. The number sequence for J1 starting with Pin 1 go down or across?

I feel kind of dumb now.
    edited 2010-11-11 13:31
    I spoke to soon. I feel I keep bumping this thread, sorry for so many posts.

J6 worked for a little bit. I was able to load the code. Then after a few minutes all the LED's went very dim. After disconnecting and reconnecting the power it wouldn't let me load again and no LED's were on except the power LED (shouldn't the other LED's flash once the original program was loaded from the EEPROM?). I would understand this could be a simple human error yet I am pretty confident in knowing how to connect power to a device and also loading code onto it.

I've decided I'm not going to touch it until I get some input as what I should do.

Thank You,
    Matthew Eckman
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-11 14:28
    Matthew,
    If the Spinneret Web Server is receiving power, but at a voltage too low to run, the power LED may turn on, but dimly. Try reading the voltage across your power supply while it is plugged in, and make sure it is at least 4 volts. (or better yet 5) Also check the voltage on pin one of J1 and see if it is around 3.3 volts. (it should be at least 3.0) If either of those voltages are too low, it may not have enough to run.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
    edited 2010-11-11 15:48
    Thank you David. I am getting the correct voltage at all the right locations. I just tried to switch the PropPlug back over to my other Propeller circuit and same problem. So I am slowly finding out it may be my USB connection/cable/or PropPlug.

I am going to try a different com port, different USB cable, and different laptop. If all those fail then I guess I can assume I burned up my PropPlug.
    edited 2010-11-12 06:22
    Problem has been solved. Even though I was getting the correct voltages from using a battery, once I switched over to a wall plug no more issues. Thank you David for helping.