Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What do I need to read about and learn to use the Spinneret? — Parallax Forums

What do I need to read about and learn to use the Spinneret?

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2010-11-13 21:56 in Accessories
Since no tutorials for the Spinneret will be developed anytime soon, I was wondering what sort of books I should read to get enough background to understand how it works and how to use it. I don't know anything about internet protocols, etc. so, insofar as suggestions are concerned, what I'm looking for are books with titles like (Your Suggestion Here) for Dummies, etc.

At the moment I feel like somebody standing in front of the travel guide section at a bookstore and I know I'm going to a foreign country where they don't speak my language.... and yet I don't even know what travel guide to buy because I really don't know where it is I'm going to.

This (Fill in the blank) Dummy greatly appreciates your inputs.
:)

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-11-09 18:31
    Since no tutorials for the Spinneret will be developed anytime soon, I was wondering what sort of books I should read to get enough background to understand how it works and how to use it. I don't know anything about internet protocols, etc. so, insofar as suggestions are concerned, what I'm looking for are books with titles like (Your Suggestion Here) for Dummies, etc.

At the moment I feel like somebody standing in front of the travel guide section at a bookstore and I know I'm going to a foreign country where they don't speak my language.... and yet I don't even know what travel guide to buy because I really don't know where it is I'm going to.

'
    I'll take the most easiest "google" TCP/IP,HTTP,UDP,DNS,etc.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-11-09 19:00
    $WMc% wrote: »
    '
    I'll take the most easiest "google" TCP/IP,HTTP,UDP,DNS,etc.

Okay, but out of all those acronyms, where's the best place to start? Or in other words, what's the least I need to know to experience a full-blown "Hello World" phenomenon?

thanks!
    Mark
  • rwizardrwizard Posts: 2
    edited 2010-11-12 07:30
    I would start with the schematic and reading the data sheets, assuming you already know how to program a Propeller. Wikipedia is a good place to start learning about the OSI model, and there are always the RFC's and FAQ's. Be specific in telling us about what area you are lost on and what you are trying to do. There is no royal road to learning.
    edited 2010-11-12 07:31
    rwizard wrote: »
    ...It would be helpful if you shared your level of knowledge and what you are trying to do.....

Rwizard,

thanks very much for your thoughtful reply. To answer, I have a reasonable understanding of both electronics and of the Propeller but have no real working knowledge of assembly language. And my bit-banging skills are Cro-Magnon, at best. I have hopes of using the Spinneret in about a year or so, so I'm in no big hurry with it, but at this point I was hoping to get some idea of how to make it to do something really simple, such as a "Hello World" demo.

Thanks for your suggestion about Sam's "Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours". I'll have a look at that if I can find it in the library.

Or, lazy slob that I am, I'll probably just wait around until some of the TCP brainiacs here start generating code for the OBEX, off which I'll leach in luxury and parasitize with aplomb.

:D
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-12 10:29
    I believe there are several of us here with network training, so some good example code should be forthcoming as more of them are received.

It all depends on which direction are want to go with yours.

You could make a webserver, a telnet server, a pop mail client, and more.
    Personally, I think a good "Hello World" would be to make a webserver that will serve a page not just to yourself, but to the rest of the world. This will expose you to several hurtles which will give you a better understanding of HTML, IP addressing, and routing when you are finished.

Mine won't arrive until Monday, or I'd start on it this weekend.

OBC
    edited 2010-11-12 10:54
    Personally, I think a good "Hello World" would be to make a webserver that will serve a page not just to yourself, but to the rest of the world....

Yes, that's exactly what I would like to see. And, heck, I already know a little HTML, so I'm glad to hear that might come in handy.

edited 2010-11-12 14:31
    Off the top of my head, here's the information you'll need to be ready to dig for:

1) Identifying your actual *live* IP address.

2) Identifying your workstation IP address.

3) How to setup "port forwarding" in your router.
    Most routers have this, but all are a little different.

4) Programming the Spinneret to serve webpages.
    (I think there is already some sample code for this.)

Work your way through this and you'll have learned a few tricks
    about networking and of course playing with your new Spinneret. :)

OBC
    edited 2010-11-12 14:49
    Off the top of my head...

Thanks, OBC. I'll start poking around to see what these things are all about.

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-11-13 12:25

'
    This might be of help.Its from Tim Swieter.
    edited 2010-11-13 14:43
    $WMc% wrote: »
    '
    This might be of help.Its from Tim Swieter.

Thanks $WMc%, I'll take a look at this, too. :)
  • zapmasterzapmaster Posts: 54
    edited 2010-11-13 16:57
    doing some google ing and found this. have not read it but looked good.
    sorry i know its a diffrent controler.

http://www.ermicro.com/blog/?p=1773
  • grimmgrimm Posts: 14
    edited 2010-11-13 18:27
    I'm in the same boat as you. :) I'm going to be looking at the Object Exchange as well, although it is probably better if you have at least some understanding of the subject to understand the programming. I don't have my Spineret yet too but you can do some of the same stuff with a Spin Studio board and ethernet daughter card. This is what I have been using up to now.

Grimm
    edited 2010-11-13 19:31
    Attached is a quickie "cheat sheet" for those who struggle with the physical network understanding.

Hopefully it helps.

OBC
    947 x 623 - 95K
    edited 2010-11-13 21:56
    Attached is a quickie "cheat sheet" for those who struggle...

Thanks OBC. Your diagram definitely speaks a language I can understand - pictures of recognizable things with lines and such showing the relationships. Maybe this cheat sheet is just the beginning of your Spinneret for Beginners Handbook? Yes? Please? :)