Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Intention to enter contest: Spinneret multi-user chatroom & client — Parallax Forums

Intention to enter contest: Spinneret multi-user chatroom & client

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2010-11-16 03:38 in Accessories
After some careful consideration I've come up with what I think is an good use for the Spinneret device.

However, I am unable to get a message to the "Spinneretcontest@parallax.com" as it keeps sending them back undeliverable so I'm posting it here. (BTW, anyone nice the nice Hakzor graphic on that page yet?)

The Spinneret Multi-user Chat Room:
(Possible replacement for Savage Circuit's existing chat software)

The only hurtle that might get in the way is the ability of Spinneret to access multiple, simultaneousness connections. For now, due to a lack of good information on that, I'm going to press forward like that of a bumblebee, which doesn't know that it's body weight is too heavy to allow flight. :)

I'm picturing a multi-user system which supports both admin abilities, web chat (like we have now) and some special stuff designed for a Spinneret client so that I can participate in the Propeller discussions from a Propeller itself.

If I read the specs right, it looks like there are some extra data lines for TV out, possible keyboard in. This will solve the issues for the client. Then there is the software magic which in itself should make an interesting project.

Feel free to tell me flight isn't possible, but I've seen the Propeller do amazing stuff, and I KNOW that there are enough minds here to make this happen.

OBC

Comments

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2010-11-09 11:52
    Sounds a lot like an IRC server and client. That would be really cool.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2010-11-09 19:33
    Hey OBC,
    Looking at the datasheet on the Wiznet W5100, it can only do 4 sockets at a time. So your chat server would be limited to 4 clients. :/

Using it as a client would still be fine.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-10 06:18
    I thought there might be a limitation like this....

..and yet, I think I can still work around the issue a bit if I force the client to pull the data. It'll be interesting to see if it will handle that kind of load. There is an onboard clock, so I *might* be able to time things a little.

OBC
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2010-11-16 03:38
    Maybe use a vpn (probably best to have a smart router) and broadcast or see if you can make it do multicast. Don't know how well that would work with the internet how it currently is though.

Don't know if that would be useful for the server receiving stuff though.