Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinnernet, see the excitement coming! — Parallax Forums

Spinnernet, see the excitement coming!

th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
edited 2011-02-18 17:34 in Accessories
I am excited for the Spinnernet Web Server, I just placed my order today. I have been using the BASIC stamp for a few years and for the past few months have been extensively involved with the Propeller chip (decided to use it for my senior design project). I will not be entering the design contest but I will still try to contribute anything I can.

The Spinnernet, in my project, would be used as a way of viewing data and controlling an UAV from any computer the user would want. My team and I have considered several options for viewing and controlling an UAV and we have decided being able to jump from a number of computers with varying distances would be beneficial. So using the internet is a must. If we cannnot get the Spinnernet to properly work then our fall back is using a receiving Propeller connected to a host computer running a VI from LabVIEW and using the Web Publishing feature to view and control.

I have the VI working comfortable so most of my effort will be learning and hopefully integrating the Spinnernet Web Server.

Just to make sure, does the above even sound reasonable? I have this image in my head of a "flying webpage" and being able to view and click on it from any computer.

"Humanity will be like an ant heap stirred up with a stick, see the excitement coming!"

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-11-10 17:30
    th3jester wrote: »
    I am excited for the Spinneret Web Server, I just placed my order today. I have been using the BASIC stamp for a few years and for the past few months have been extensively involved with the Propeller chip (decided to use it for my senior design project). I will not be entering the design contest but I will still try to contribute anything I can.

The Spinneret, in my project, would be used as a way of viewing data and controlling an UAV from any computer the user would want. My team and I have considered several options for viewing and controlling an UAV and we have decided being able to jump from a number of computers with varying distances would be beneficial. So using the internet is a must. If we cannot get the Spinneret to properly work then our fall back is using a receiving Propeller connected to a host computer running a VI from LabVIEW and using the Web Publishing feature to view and control.

I have the VI working comfortable so most of my effort will be learning and hopefully integrating the Spinneret Web Server.

Just to make sure, does the above even sound reasonable? I have this image in my head of a "flying webpage" and being able to view and click on it from any computer.

"Humanity will be like an ant heap stirred up with a stick, see the excitement coming!"
    '
    Sounds like a cool project.
    '
    Any details on the UAV?
    '
    Size,Power,etc.
  • th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
    edited 2010-11-11 11:07
    Quad-Copter UAV
    - Propeller brain
    - IMU-3000 with accelerometer and magnetometer
    - Spinnernet Web Server (hopefully)
    - miniature wireless Ethernet router
    - 4k-5k mAH 11.7 V Lipo
    - 100-200 watt motors with 10" blades
    - around 3 foot overall diameter (will most likely make smaller)
    - 6 infrared distance sensors (still working on logic and if something would be easier for positioning and mapping)
    - possibly a camera
    - a few other sensors

Everything is still in the design phase, the biggest obstacle for my team is trying to figure out how to get more flight time. Our motors are hungry little monsters.

The Spinnernet would provide us a means to view the incoming data from the UAV, which is being designed for indoors. Also it would give us a way to control when the UAV isn't in autonomous mode. But this all depends on being able to figure out if real-time data can be achieved. If this won't work then my back up plan is to have RF modules and use LabVIEW.
  • pthartmannpthartmann Posts: 27
    edited 2011-02-18 17:31
    An update to this project.

This was not constructed by a "Web Developer" - by any means.

However it seems to be working.
    -One will have to provide their own video stream '640 x 480' to demonstrate the video capabilities.
    -Simply input your IP Camera's IP address (of video stream) over the preexisting one.

Have not tested, yet, the buttons ability to send discrete data over serial. This will be next.

The CODE should be attached. The following objects are required:
    FullDuplexSerialPlus
    W5100_Indirect_Driver
  • pthartmannpthartmann Posts: 27
    edited 2011-02-18 17:34
    Already noticed that I have two "Pitch Negative's" an easy fix - though I'm sure the text of the buttons will one of the first things changed by most anyway.