Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinneret SMTP — Parallax Forums

Spinneret SMTP

lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
edited 2010-11-08 17:03 in Accessories
Please tell me if the Spinneret will have the SMTP function. I want to convert from my power hungry PINK module to the lower power Spinneret. Also please let me know if the functions as originally described, will still be available.

These are the functions I found in one of the earliest posts from Parallax.

""
Here are the features that we will incorporate in the official firmware:

UDP
TCP/IP
DHCP
DNS client
HTTP
Dynamical variables within HTTP files served from an SD card
A default web interface
FTP
SMTP
POP
Serial interface to other microcontrollers for dynamic HTTP pages
A command protocol compatible with our upcoming WiFi module (for changing settings remotely)
An open source GUI for connecting and changing settings from a PC (yes that includes Apple's PCs running OS X)

""

Thanks
Larry

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-07 11:24
    No one is going to be able to promise you what will be in software yet to be written. The Spinneret hardware is certainly capable of all of the functions you've mentioned and most of that list already works on the YBox2 which uses a different Ethernet interface, but should be adaptable to the Spinneret. I'm sure that the whole list you've mentioned will eventually be supported by the Spinneret, but maybe not initially and no one will give you a date when things will be available.
  • lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
    edited 2010-11-07 15:33
    Thanks Mike, I'll have to wait a bit longer.
    Larry
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2010-11-08 11:59
    Larry,
    Sending an email over an SMTP server is surprisingly simple. See Wikipedia's example at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTP#SMTP_transport_example. If you follow their example, and you don't need to check to see if it was successful, you can just open a TCP socket to port 25 and send this text:
    HELO relay.example.org
    MAIL FROM:<bob@example.org>
    RCPT TO:<alice@example.com>
    RCPT TO:<theboss@example.com>
    DATA
    To: "Alice Example" <alice@example.com>
    Cc: theboss@example.com
    Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:02:43 -0500
    Subject: Test message

Hello Alice.
    This is a test message with 5 header fields and 4 lines in the message body.
    Your friend,
    Bob
    QUIT
    Using relay.example.org as the SMTP server, it will send an email from "Bob Example" <bob@example.org> to "Alice Example" <alice@example.com> and CC it to <theboss@example.com>. You will need to replace relay.example.org with an actual SMTP server, usually smtp.yourisp.net where yourisp is the domain of the ISP you are using.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • lfreezelfreeze Posts: 174
    edited 2010-11-08 17:03
    Thanks Dave, I'm going to order the Spinneret and give it a try.
    Larry