Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Auto Dog Door version 2.0 — Parallax Forums

Auto Dog Door version 2.0

doughdough Posts: 1
edited 2010-11-10 05:50 in BASIC Stamp
Over a year ago I created an dog door that opens itself if my dogs scan an RFID tag that they wear. It uses an actuator to open an close and locks itself with a gate latch. (not real secure so we leave it locked when we aren't home)

I was lazy though and never got the project off the project board. As a result, over the past year, I have had to repeatedly fix loose wires and a chip. Finally, about a week ago the system gave out (I took it all down and am troubleshooting the issues now). But before I put it back up, I want to do things right.

Version 2 Upgrades:
Move everything to a soldered board (no more breadboard)
Create plugs for all external modules
Consolidate to one A/C power source

I am a software developer, and have limited EE skills. I only learned enough to get the job done before and as a result some things aren't perfect. For example, I used an H-bridge to toggle the power to the actuator, but I didn't know how to correctly split the supply coming to the BS, so I have been using a totally separate power supply just for the actuator.

So why am I posting on here? Well, I need help. I want to know the best option for running the BS2 on a plain board. Is the best way to go with a "Super Carrier Board?" or is there easier cheaper options. Also, I need help splitting the voltage off the power supply. I can post exact Volts and Amps my supplies have and what the actuator requires if someone is willing to help.

Thanks all, and enjoy the pics (sorry for the bad flash)

img0170hz.th.jpg

what a mess!
img0176l.th.jpg

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-11-06 16:12
    dough wrote: »
    Over a year ago I created an dog door that opens itself if my dogs scan an RFID tag that they wear. It uses an actuator to open an close and locks itself with a gate latch. (not real secure so we leave it locked when we aren't home)

I was lazy though and never got the project off the project board. As a result, over the past year, I have had to repeatedly fix loose wires and a chip. Finally, about a week ago the system gave out (I took it all down and am troubleshooting the issues now). But before I put it back up, I want to do things right.

Version 2 Upgrades:
    Move everything to a soldered board (no more breadboard)
    Create plugs for all external modules
    Consolidate to one A/C power source

I am a software developer, and have limited EE skills. I only learned enough to get the job done before and as a result some things aren't perfect. For example, I used an H-bridge to toggle the power to the actuator, but I didn't know how to correctly split the supply coming to the BS, so I have been using a totally separate power supply just for the actuator.

So why am I posting on here? Well, I need help. I want to know the best option for running the BS2 on a plain board. Is the best way to go with a "Super Carrier Board?" or is there easier cheaper options. Also, I need help splitting the voltage off the power supply. I can post exact Volts and Amps my supplies have and what the actuator requires if someone is willing to help.

Thanks all, and enjoy the pics (sorry for the bad flash)

img0170hz.th.jpg

what a mess!
    img0176l.th.jpg
    '
    '
    Take look at the OEMBS2SX kit.With the kit version a right angel SIP header can be soldered in to keep the board laying flat.I would use a small solider-type perf board to tie the BS2SX,RFID,and the push buttons together.
    '
    Radio Shack can help with the perf board and solider needs.
    '
    I made a similar project for My cows.I glued the RFID tags to the COW tags pierced in their ears to open a feed chute.This works great.I can make sure that all the cows have ate using the RFID module. And if I'm missing a cow eating, I need to go looking for it.
    '
    The OEMBS2SX is very useful for this type of use.
    '
    Hope this helps.
    '
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/AllMicrocontrollers/tabid/758/CategoryID/1/List/0/SortField/0/catpageindex/3/Level/a/ProductID/501/Default.aspx
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-11-10 05:50
    You might want to look at this pro-to board I have some thing like this before but only single hole board not the type that I gave you the link to

I was going to find the type of board That I used but their site is having some problem not loading the page that I want to go to I will try later to find it