Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can the spinneret be used for serial over ethernet? — Parallax Forums

can the spinneret be used for serial over ethernet?

gmarchesegmarchese Posts: 30
edited 2010-11-24 12:31 in Accessories
I'm looking into some new control options for an underwater ROV controller. Id like to find a device that can be used as n udp/tcp based to rs232 serial based communications. Theres something similar in the maker controller (used in the past) where it does control over OSC. Unfortunately, we've outgrown the abilities of the board.

Can this board be used like that? or can anyone suggest another option? Id prefer not to go into engineering a new solution, and greatly prefer a systems engineering approach.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-05 21:33
    The Spinneret includes a socket for Parallax MoBo daughterboards. One such board on my drawing board (and already proven in proto form) is an RS232 interface. If there's sufficient demand, this board, as with similar RS485 and XBee daughterboards, could go into production in a heartbeat. Encouragement from potential users would provide the stimulus needed to make this happen.

-Phil
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-05 21:33
    The board can be used for serial over ethernet, but you will have to write or adapt existing code to do it. It won't (as far as I know) come with code to do it.

The YBox2 (which is based on a different Ethernet interface device) can do Telnet which you'd need for this.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-11-06 05:50
    In the meantine if you need to connect to a standard RS-232 device it looks like it would be easy to build one on the MoBo proto board that Parallax already sells:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/mobo/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/469/Default.aspx

All you would need to add is a MAX3232 which will run on 3.3V and the four caps it requires. Maybe one other small .1 cap right across the supply leads of the MAX3232 as well. That would do it.

Robert
  • gmarchesegmarchese Posts: 30
    edited 2010-11-06 09:09
    Im happy to adapt or create code. My hesitation to go down to individual components stems from someone whom i worked with in the past year on this past project, who decided that every piece of the system should be built from scratch. In the end, it never worked. Im fine with designs that are proven. (what we were going into wasn't)

Basically, a propeller chip would be the receiving end of the 232 line. The ethernet end would connect to the laptop based control system on the surface.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2010-11-07 14:15
    Propforth supports telnet on a wiznet 811mj, which has the w5100 same as the spinneret.

When the spinneret comes out it will most like be a straight forward port.

If you can use forth, or if you with to convert the forth to spin or optimized assembler, this might provide an example.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,015
    edited 2010-11-23 15:13
    The Spinneret includes a socket for Parallax MoBo daughterboards. One such board on my drawing board (and already proven in proto form) is an RS232 interface. If there's sufficient demand, this board, as with similar RS485 and XBee daughterboards, could go into production in a heartbeat. Encouragement from potential users would provide the stimulus needed to make this happen.

-Phil

Would love to have an RS-458 add-on for the Spinneret. New EFX-TEK products in the works will include RS-485 and we have a high-profile client in New York that would like to control/monitor props and window displays via the Internet.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-11-24 12:31

-Phil
    '
    I would buy an RS232 adapter board for the Spinneret.This would really make things easier for Me.
    '
    This adapter would also open up the web to the BS2's, Much like the Propeller backpack did for video over lay!