Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
So you've decided to enter the design contest... — Parallax Forums

So you've decided to enter the design contest...

David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
edited 2010-11-10 16:19 in Accessories
For anyone that is interested in the Spinneret Web Server design contest, I thought I'd elaborate on what it is and why we're hosting it. For starters, here are the official design rules: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/902/Default.aspx. Now that you've read the rules, here is what it all means:

We want people to design projects, using the Spinneret Web Server, that are interesting and useful. We not only want these projects to be open source, be we want the contestants to work together to create a strong community and an open-source base of code that will be useful to everyone using the Spinneret Web Server. Timothy D. Swieter of Brilldea has already written SPI and parallel mode drivers for the WIZnet W5100, which he posted on the Propeller Object Exchange. Timothy has also written simple demos using these drivers, which can be downloaded from the "Auxiliary Files" sections in the Propeller Object Exchange pages. At the time of this writing, this is the only code published for the Spinneret Web Server, and everything else is left to the contestants and the open-source community. Instead of spending our resources writing example programs that you may or may not use, which drive up the price of a product, we will be selling the Spinneret Web Server at the low price of $49.99 and work with WIZnet to host this contest with over $5,500 in prizes!

The entries will be judged based on four factors. The first factor is community participation, which accounts for 30% of the total score. We will look to see how involved the contestants are with the community, how much they contributed to collaborative efforts, and how well they incorporated aspects from the community into their own projects.

The second factor is capabilities and design appropriateness, which accounts for 20% of the total score. We will judge this based on how much the entry pushes the capabilities of the Spinneret Web Server and how much it uses the features built into it.

The third factor is usefulness, which accounts for 25% of the final score. This is self explanatory, the more useful the entry is the better it will score.

The final factor is professionalism, which accounts for 25% of the final score. We will be reading through all of the project reports and forums posts, as well as viewing all of the pictures, videos, and files associated with the entries. It is important for us that everything is presented in a professional, easy to follow format, so it plays a significant role in the final score.

If you have any questions or comments about the Spinneret Web Server or the design contest, let us know and post them here on the forum.

— David Carrier
Parallax Inc.

Comments

• zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
    edited 2010-11-06 22:17
    Mailbox unavailable?

Hi I've just tried posting a submission request and got the following error;

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
    The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
    each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <Spinneretcontest@parallax.com>
    Reason: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-11-09 11:11
    Yes,

Same issues here.. I've posted my project intent in the forum instead, so feel free to send a project number after issues have been resolved.. (no rush. :) )

(Might want to address that nice graphic replacement on the contest page as well. It ins't offensive, but shouldn't be there. :) Too bad we can't get those guys involved with Propeller/Spinneret hacking instead.

OBC
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2010-11-09 13:47
    Hello, we've changed the email for contest submissions and contacts to mktg@parallax.com

Changes have been made to reflect this upon our contest entry page, but I'm also putting the note up here for anyone wondering.
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2010-11-10 16:19
    Related to my post above, but now in reverse!

We have the address for the SpinneretContest@parallax.com working, yay! So please use that instead of mktg@parallax.com.

If you've already sent in an email, we still have it; no need to re-submit/send another email to the new address, unless you have corrections or other comments to make.

Lastly, corrections have been made on the contest page to reflect these changes.