Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Brown-out Detector — Parallax Forums

Brown-out Detector

lenkaslenkas Posts: 4
edited 2010-11-03 09:46 in BASIC Stamp
I notice that the schematic for my OEM PWB (OEM Basic Stamp 2, Rev. A1, 13-Oct-2004) has a MN13811 (U3) low voltage detector whereas the schematic for the OEM Basic Stamp 2e, Rev. A, 14-Mar-2005, does not include one. My queshions are:

1. Could I temporarily rewire my PWB like the 2e board schematic (I have removed the bad device and am awaitinng the arrival of a new one)? and,

2. Since my “older” BS2 does not appear to have an internal brown-out dedector will anything be damaged operating as in 1. above?

I am anxious to get on with basic testing & checkout and would be operating with a regulated lab supply and the possible loss of data would not be a problem.

Thanks again,

Len

PS - I am new to "Forum" procedures; should this be a continuation of my original post or was I correct in starting a new thread?

Comments

• electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-11-03 05:25
    ...will anything be damaged operating as in 1. above?
    Nothing will damage, if the voltage never reaches 4.2V. As you may already know, the (BS2) Brownout detector will pull the reset line low when the voltage reaches 4.2V (reset the BS2) will protect the interpreter chip on BS2 module from corruption and the EEPROM of loss data.
  • lenkaslenkas Posts: 4
    edited 2010-11-03 09:46
    Many thanks. I suspected as much but as a beginner, I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.
    Regards,
    Len