Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beginner questions (long) — Parallax Forums

Beginner questions (long)

lenkaslenkas Posts: 4
edited 2010-11-02 09:34 in BASIC Stamp
I am just getting started with the Stamp microcontroller that I purchased about 10 years ago. Why it took me so long I won't go into right now but I could use some help.Through errors of my own (I applied incorrect voltage and blew out the regulator) and possibly some other components as well.To the best of my recollection I did not have the Stamp or EEPROM plugged in at the time. I ordered a new low voltage detector because I suspect that got fried.
The Stamp IC on my circuit board is marked 'PIC16C57 HS/P' and the EEPROM is marked '24LC16B' and the circuit board is marked 'OEM BASIC Stamp 2, 1999'.
My questions are as follows: 1. What documentation available on the website will give me an accurate schematic of what I have?; 2. What version of the Stamp do I actually have?; 3. Are later versions of the Stamp, plug-in compatible with the one that I have, i.e., can the 2e work in my PWB without making any changes?
Thanks,
lenkas

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-01 20:38
    You have an OEM BS2. This is functionally the same as the BS2 module currently sold, just made with "full-sized" parts on a large-ish PCB. It should be the same as the OEM BS2 currently sold as the BS2 hasn't changed in years.

The schematic and manual are on the Parallax webstore page (here) for the OEM BS2.

Later models of the Basic Stamp are pin-compatible. You may have to make some changes to timing constants in your programs in that different models operate at different speeds and some timing constants (like for serial Baud) vary from model to model. The Stamp Manual and the Stamp Editor help files show these differences in the chapters on the relevant statements (like SERIN, SEROUT, PULSIN, PULSOUT, COUNT, and a few others).
  • lenkaslenkas Posts: 4
    edited 2010-11-02 09:34
    Many thanks Mike, maybe you CAN teach an old dog a few new tricks! I'll
    probably have more questions after the replacement parts arrive and I'm operational.
    Regards,
    Len