Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Panel Mount for 5-way switch — Parallax Forums

Panel Mount for 5-way switch

Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
edited 2010-11-01 15:04 in Accessories
Has anyone been able to mount the 5-way switch(#27801) on a panel? Any suggestions are welcome. Or do you know of a similar switch that is made to be panel mounted?
Thanks.
Al

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-01 12:46
    'Not much to grab hold of, is there? What I would try is to pull the knob off, then make a plate with a hole for the shaft (big enough to lie flat against the main body of the switch), along with two holes for panel screws. You can then epoxy the plate to the switch, being careful not to get any glue around parts that move.

-Phil
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-11-01 13:39
    If you want a high end switch that can be panel mounted Greyhill makes some nice ones:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH7457-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH7456-ND

They aren't cheap but they should last a LONG time....
  • Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
    edited 2010-11-01 13:54
    @Phil - I was thinking along similar lines. But I was going to make a plastic plate with holes for the 2 rows of 4 contacts and put the plate under the switch's PCB. Then use screws to attach to the panel. What do you think?

@RobotWorkshop - I saw those and it took about 3 nonoseconds to reject them at that price.

Thanks.
    Al
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-11-01 15:04
    Al Booth wrote: »
    @Phil - I was thinking along similar lines. But I was going to make a plastic plate with holes for the 2 rows of 4 contacts and put the plate under the switch's PCB. Then use screws to attach to the panel. What do you think?
    That would also work and will keep it from slipping if the glue should debond.

-Phil