Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp not found — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp not found

fahadfahad Posts: 14
edited 2010-11-03 11:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hello guys. I was using my recently bought BS2P 24pin module. It was working fine until yesterday when it started saying again and again basic

stamp not found. The 9V battery is brand new and even tried dc power supplies of 5V and another battery of 9V. I also tried replacing the usb

serial cable with a new one but it didn't worked.I even went on trying using another board of education but it didnt worked. When I check

identity it says yes for both loop and echo.I would also tell that when i connect the power the BS2P 24 starts heating up very very much.like
someone is soldering the stamp...
The heating up did not happened before....even when i was using the same power supply the 9 V battery. I have tried other power supplies but it still heats up very much...the heating only started when it started giving the error basic stamp not found.

I am using Board of Education USB version.
I am so much confused and worried what to do if the BS2P 24 is unable to be used anymore.
PLEASE I NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY.....can i replace my bs2p24 if it is busted.

Can anyone tell me if the basic stamp 2p is malfunctioning

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-28 09:16
    What were you doing when the Stamp stopped working? They are usually pretty robust modules. Did you have anything connected to it? Perhaps something you had connected was too much for it? Any details you can provide on how you had things connected and what you were trying to control can help determine what may have happened to the module.

What part of the module gets hot? Does it do this on it's own when plugged into the board and powered up with nothing else wired up or connected?

Robert
  • fahadfahad Posts: 14
    edited 2010-10-29 13:57
    I ve got another BS2P and guess what it is also not working.....i tried reading a simple debug code.but nothing worked...with nothing hooked up wired to the board of education......I then went on trying a BS2sx and guess what it worked....I was really shocked....I went on trying BS2P again but it didnt worked...ive two BS2P's and both aren,t working...please really i need help:confused::confused:...thestamp doesnt heats up anymore and still both arent working but the bs2sx working...:confused:
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-29 14:14
    Please answer RobotWorkshop's questions. We can't help you unless you provide us with information that will help us figure out what happened.
    edited 2010-10-29 16:00
    i was reading a code for a dc motor after which the module stopped working..when i check identity it say yes to loop back and for echo but does not show anything for device and version. they are just blank when i am using my bs2p
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-29 18:27
    As requested before, you should show use your schematic and a picture of how your circuit i wired. The code that you are using would help also.

The fact that the chip was overheating to the point it "smelled like someone was soldering the Stamp" sounds like it has been damaged. This could be due to a lot of things; wrong input voltage, backwards input voltage, over voltage on inputs, over current draw on outputs.

You are driving a motor, how are you interfacing it to protect the Basic Stamp?

You should remove the new post you put up,

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=126723

as it will confuse people in thinking it is a new indecent, and then they would be asking the same questions again.

Please post as much information that you can regarding connections and software.

Jim
    fahad wrote: »
    i was reading a code for a dc motor after which the module stopped working..when i check identity it say yes to loop back and for echo but does not show anything for device and version. they are just blank when i am using my bs2p
    edited 2010-10-29 18:49
    so i was using the dc motor as a fan...I hooked up one side of motor to a 470 ohm resister that goes into pin 14 and the other end of the motor to vss.

the code i below
    ' {$STAMP BS2p}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DO
    HIGH 14
    LOOP
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-29 19:21
    What are the specs on the motor? Voltage , resistance?.

The BS2 is only capable of supplying or sinking 30ma of current on each pin. If you try to pull 100ma through a motor, it's bound to fry the chip. You need an interface for the motor.
    fahad wrote: »
    so i was using the dc motor as a fan...I hooked up one side of motor to a 470 ohm resister that goes into pin 14 and the other end of the motor to vss.

the code i below
    ' {$STAMP BS2p}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DO
    HIGH 14
    LOOP
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-10-29 19:27
    Did you do the "motor thing" with the BS2sx? (If you haven't then don't.)

Running motors directly from a pin is not good, and if you didn't have a commutation diode that's worse.
    edited 2010-10-29 20:01
    A 470 Ohm resistor should limit the current to the I/O pin to 10mA which is well within the capabilities of an I/O pin.

There's not enough difference between a BS2sx and a BS2p to cause what you're describing.

From what you've recently described, there's no way you could have damaged either model Stamp, so it must be something else. Either what you've described is not in fact true or something else has happened and you haven't given us enough information to figure that out.

Remember that, for a Stamp to be identified and programmed, there must be power applied to the Stamp so that it can operate and the serial port used for downloading must be functioning properly including the DTR control line.
    edited 2010-10-31 07:25
    the basic stamp is just not recognising the bs2p because i have 2 bs2p's and both are giving the error basic stamp not found. IS there any software update that is causing the basic stamp not to be recognised.? The power is 9V battey that is brand new..Other basic stamp modules seem to work just like bs2sx which is working fine..
    edited 2010-10-31 07:51
    There has been no software change in many years that would affect a BS2p, not since the BS2p was originally introduced. If you had a very old installation CD and had reinstalled the Stamp Editor from the CD and that's when you started having problems ... I could believe that as a cause. The fix is to reinstall the Stamp Editor from a fresh download from Parallax's download page.

Barring that, you have a power problem or a serial communications problem and neither one would affect a BS2p and not a BS2sx.
    edited 2010-11-03 11:52
    Hi can you please tell me that can I have a replacement for the Bs2p if it is under warranty..since other Basic stamp modules are working and not the bs2p I have. can i have a replacement for a new one?
    edited 2010-11-03 11:55
    You need to contact Parallax Tech Support directly via telephone or e-mail. They are the ones who arrange for repairs/replacements.

See here