Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question About MLX90614 Thermometer Module — Parallax Forums

Question About MLX90614 Thermometer Module

ElectronegativityElectronegativity Posts: 311
edited 2010-10-25 17:59 in Accessories
Hi everybody.

Will the MLX90614 IR thermometer module correctly read the temperature inside a toaster oven if I point it at the glass door, or would I have to drill a hole in the side of the oven for the sensor to look through?

The idea is to build a reflow oven to solder SMD parts by using an SX28 microcontroller and a 120 V power relay to generate the temperature profile by toggling the power on and off in the appropriate pattern.

The toggling pattern itself will be determined by trial and error based on the output from the IR module.

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-10-25 17:59
    What I would do is if you have hand held IR thermometer which you get one for $40.00 at Harbor Freight and see if dose work or not

I can tell you that I done this in air condition vents and it is pretty close to digital thermometer

But what I have found is that when you point it at the metal grill the temp is a little off a little colder or a little warmer than what the digital thermometer says

If you do this test on your toaster oven back wall you may find these reading either a little high or a little low or right on it it hard to say with out doing some testing

I thought about using a IR thermometer module doing the same thing my self as well

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Temperature/SEN-09570-datasheet-3901090614M005.pdf