Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Production Status! — Parallax Forums

S2 Production Status!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2010-11-09 14:06 in Robotics
Hey all,

The S2's production cycle is well-underway at the moment. We're moving through the middle stages of the process: pre-prototypes, prototypes, first articles, first production articles, etc. There's a major commitment to bringing this product to market: skilled engineering in software, hardware, plastic, analog design; financial commitment to production runs in excess of 5,000 units; Q/A and Q/C processes; and design interaction among key customers who use hundreds or thousands of Scribblers per year. If you buy one of these I can assure you that your money goes right back into the product line in terms of applications, videos, hacks, etc.

This robot is designed around the Propeller. It seems to be the perfect application. This robot is also 100% open-sourced, obligation-free!

Absolutely critical to this team:

Phil Pilgrim, Bueno Systems - S2 GUI and Prop firmware
Ben Wirz, Element Inc. - S2 hardware design and manufacturing liason
Parallax staff: Ari Alvarez, Daniel Harris, Kevin Cook, Jen Jacobs, Stephanie Lindsay, Raymond Xiao
Customers: Georgia Tech

The list of contributors is so long that I can't even name everybody. It would be a long list as if forum member JonnyMac were thanking all of his Hollywood friends when he receives his first Grammy award.

I'm expecting these in inventory late November to mid-December. There's a possibility that your first order could be placed through Woot, also.

Below you'll see pieces of the most recent step in the process - final packaging, booklet and production prototypes. That's a GA Tech "Fluke" mounted on the S2.

Thank you for reading!

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=74570&d=1287594033
1000 x 750 - 219K
S2.jpg 219.1K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-10-20 10:13
    Xlnt report!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-20 10:50
    So is there a pre-order list we can get on?

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-10-20 11:10
    So is there a pre-order list we can get on?
    Robert

Thank you, Robert. Once I've got certainty about regarding the ship date we'll start enabling backorders. We don't want too much time between the day we enable backorders and ship the first robots - customers start to bail out if they have to wait too long and our internal sales staff starts to field calls about delivery dates. We can minimize the potential for these problems once the situation solidifies, in a couple of weeks.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-20 11:13
    What if we promise to only call once a day instead of hourly??? Just kidding! It's great to hear that they will be out soon and we'll just watch for the announcement when they are officially for sale.

Robert
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-20 11:19
    Ken,

Thanks for the detailed update. Looks like it may be in time for Christmas!

Would like to see the same time line for some adopted Penguins too! :0

Jim
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-10-20 16:41
    Looking good!
    edited 2010-10-20 17:33
    I was almost tempted to spray paint one of my blue Scribblers red and post a bogus claim and Youtube video that Ken sent me an S2 early. But I learned my lesson last time; a lot of people thought I was serious when I joked that Ken gave me all of the discontinued Penguins.

So it's a good thing Ken stopped favoring me when he gave me the last 250 discontinued Toddler robots.
    340 x 275 - 16K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-10-20 20:34
    erco,

You can't begin to imagine all the images and icons with blue Scribblers I've similarly had to Photoshop to get the S2 GUI ready for show time! I spent all of yesterday and today just on the Help file images. And, yes, like yours, there were some blue pixels that still needed touching up by hand. :)

-Phil
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-10-27 04:58
    erco wrote: »
    I was almost tempted to spray paint one of my blue Scribblers red and post a bogus claim and Youtube video that Ken sent me an S2 early. But I learned my lesson last time; a lot of people thought I was serious when I joked that Ken gave me all of the discontinued Penguins.
    So it's a good thing Ken stopped favoring me when he gave me the last 250 discontinued Toddler robots.
    If the fake red Scribbler runs on a fake Prop chip, I have some working Fake (also red, maybe) LEDs to go with it. What are you doing with 250 Toddler robots? Hehe..
    edited 2010-10-27 09:36
    What am I doing with 250 Toddler robots?

I'm dressing them up as FAKE Penguin robots for Halloween. My walking, swarming army of Trick or Treating Toddlers will own the sidewalks of Los Angeles on Sunday night and ALL of the candy collected will be MINE, MINE, MINE!
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2010-10-27 09:41
    erco,

lol!!

Why is it with candy that a "fun size" is always small? ... that's not fun at all!! Give me the BIG-CHUNK candy bar, now that's a fun size!!:smilewinkgrin:
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-10-28 18:02
    Obviously, I have been asleep at the wheel to miss a post like this! Yikes!

I want one bad! Just had my first robotics club meeting - couldn't help whipping the kids into a frenzy over this! They are now crazed.
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-28 18:10
    You may have some competition :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=74780&d=1288314593
    erco wrote: »
    What am I doing with 250 Toddler robots?

I'm dressing them up as FAKE Penguin robots for Halloween. My walking, swarming army of Trick or Treating Toddlers will own the sidewalks of Los Angeles on Sunday night and ALL of the candy collected will be MINE, MINE, MINE!
    500 x 281 - 53K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-10-30 09:26
    @hover1,

LOL!
    edited 2010-11-09 14:06
    @Ken: Any news to tell? It sure would be nice to get confirmation that S2 is on-schedule for Christmas delivery! The red plastic body and green Fluke board in the top photo look very Christmas-y. I suspect some holiday greenery, mistletoe or holly leaves would look equally festive!

"The Scribblers were charging by the chimney with care..."