Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor diagram — Parallax Forums

stepper motor diagram

gth759kgth759k Posts: 2
edited 2010-10-18 20:38 in BASIC Stamp
I used a basic stamp in a class at my school last year and I just bought my own from fry's electronics. The book shows how to get a servo going, which I've done, but now I want to control a stepper motor. I just can't figure out how to wire up my board though. Does anyone have a link to a diagram to set up my board by? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• dadamsadadamsa Posts: 6
    edited 2010-10-18 06:41
    The StampWorks book from Parallax shows how to interface the stamp to a stepper motor. You can download the manual or buy the book. You can also download the code for this experiment as well from their web site. Experiement #27 shows how using a L298 driver. You cannot drive the motor directly from the Basic Stamp as the Stamp cannot supply or sink enough current for driving a stepper motor directly.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-10-18 09:13
    There are many different types of steppers, each requiring unique hardware & software. Your mileage (and stepper) may vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-10-18 11:40
    Driving a stepper via BS is pretty straightforward using a driver IC. There are many different to choose from. I don't think Radio Shack carries any, although you might get lucky. Some others are available from DigiKey, Jameco, Mouser, Step Genie, Allegro etc. Generally you give the driver a direction, step type (Full step, half, micro, wave, etc) and a step pulse.... and she goes.

The trick is the circuitry which is available on the data sheet of your selected driver. For a small stepper you can get by with a 2N2222, for a stepper of any size you'll need a darlington array, also available in a stepper configuration (L298), or Mosfets, or ??. Keep in mind you must match the stepper with an IC.... unipolar / bipolar. Some IC's will do both. I like the L297.

I suppose you could go crazy and drive the stepper directly though four transistors.... You'd write your own step routines, but I don't think anyone does that. It'd be a neat exercise though. I always wanted to do it :)
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-18 20:38
    I posted some pretty good links in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=126306

The question was asked about connecting them to an SX processor but since many of the BASIC Stamps use the SX it all applies.....

Robert