Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bs2 to PC connection — Parallax Forums

Bs2 to PC connection

Luis_PLuis_P Posts: 246
edited 2010-10-15 15:54 in BASIC Stamp
I see many tutorials on how to send data from PC (visual Basic) to BS2. what I don't see is the wiring connection. I assume pin 0 on the Bs2 to send out data and what pin should I use on the parallel port (9 pins) of PC?.

Gracias por su ayuda.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-10-14 16:05
    You can use the same cable you use to program the stamp. It is after all a serial cable.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-14 16:19
    This is described in the Stamp Basic Syntax and Reference Manual and in the corresponding portion of the Stamp Editor's help files under the SEROUT and SERIN statements.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-10-14 17:13
    Luis_P wrote: »
    I see many tutorials on how to send data from PC (visual Basic) to BS2. what I don't see is the wiring connection. I assume pin 0 on the BS2 to send out data and what pin should I use on the parallel port (9 pins) of PC?.

Gracias por su ayuda.
    '
    You Can also look into the "DEBUG" command. This is how Parallax handles read/write serial with the BS2. Once you understand this,VB will be allot easier.
    '
    One other thing to add. I have found "JustBasic" a little easier to use over VB. JustBasic is a free Basic Compiler for windows, And it already has a Serial COM program in the Demos folder to help you get started with your project.
  • Luis_PLuis_P Posts: 246
    edited 2010-10-15 08:37
    I knew I will not get an easy answer like " connect to pin #".
    I will have to research more.
    I use the usb cable to program the BS2 no parallel port.
    edited 2010-10-15 09:05
    Connections to send data to PC:

Bs2
    DB9 male (PC)
    P1______to_____pin2
    VSS_____to_____pin5

Commands:
    Serout 1, 16780, [65] 'will transmit a byte equal to 65 (leter "A")
    bmp
    DB9.bmp 399.6K
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-15 09:15
    1) The Stamp Manual I mentioned has a perfectly good picture of how to connect a DB9 serial connector to a Stamp.

2) The syntax you showed for the SEROUT statement is for the BS1 and won't work for the BS2. Check the Manual or the help files for the correct syntax.
    edited 2010-10-15 10:12
    Thanks Mike, I already correct my mistake. But the connection picture I posted is correct for both Bs2 and Bs1
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-10-15 15:54
    Luis_P wrote: »
    I knew I will not get an easy answer like " connect to pin #".
    I will have to research more.
    I use the usb cable to program the BS2 no parallel port.
    '
    USB is a com port too.I use it all the time with my laptop,Since it doesn't have a DB9 serial port, Only USB.
    '
    Look under the Directives tab in the Basic Stamp Editor, Place the cursor over PORTS and it will show you the COM ports available to the Editor.
    " USB will NOT be COM1"
    '
    This will be the COM port number that you'll need to plug into your VB code to open the right COM port on your PC.
    '
    If you'll look into DEBUG statements this is always the programing pins, So you don't have to assign any PIN CONs for the BS2 to PC.
    Instead of opening a DEBUG terminal, You use your VB app.
    '
    If you insist on using different PINs you'll need to add a MAX232 or FTDI or eq. chip to Handel the USB. Wasting the hardware you already have.
    '
    Hang-in there, Do a little reading and You'll see what I'm talking about.
    '
    Its beyond the forum for me to show you all the Doc's of the BS2, You just need to go and look them up.
    '
    How do you eat an Elephant?---- One Byte at a time!