Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Brushless Motor H-bridge without R/C inputs for 50V/400W motors? — Parallax Forums

Brushless Motor H-bridge without R/C inputs for 50V/400W motors?

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-04-12 05:26 in Robotics
Hello,

I am really looking forward to a new project with the Propeller, having worked exclusively on the business side of Parallax for the last six months. We've had a number of staff absent for sabbaticals, personal leave and maternity. So I'm seeking a bit of technical therapy.

The project is a 5-6' long cataraft-looking surface robot designed to study the use of GPS for navigation on a nearby lake. I want to effectively use GPS without too many additional sensor issues to manage at the same time, so the lake is probably the easiest way to do this if I don't want a flying UAV. Managing GPS in the Parallax parking lot is a bit tricky - a robot needs to be large enough to move around a big space, but nice vehicles and UPS trucks pose unique problems. So I'm headed to the water this time.

I have two of Crustcrawler's underwater thrusters:

http://www.crustcrawler.com/products/urov2/index.php

The R/C brushless speed controls for these motors are very expensive ($200). I would rather buy a kit or off-the-shelf product that doesn't support the R/C input signals (1-2 ms pulse every 20-40 ms) but lets me provide the PWM input directly from the Propeller.

Can anybody recommend a reference design, kit, or motor control circuit I might use to design my own? I may use this project as an opportunity to make a PCB.

Any direction would be appreciated, even if you just help me hone the Google search words.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-10-10 16:34
    Ken,

I can't give any specific links at the moment, but a good Google search to start:

BLDC Sensorless Contollers

Jim
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-10-10 17:34
    Brushless motor control is beyond my comprehension for the time being. So I am of no help there.

The 120 amp ESC that they specify seems way overkill for a 400 watt motor. I would think that a 40 or 50 amp controller would do just fine. They are about $50 to $60 if you don't need reverse. If you did need reverse you could make it reversible by adding an H bridge to swap two of the motor wires.

Rich H
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2010-10-10 22:29
    There are some discussions on rcgroups.com about i2c controlled escs. Some of the discussions include circuits. Another place to look is microchip.com they have some app notes on brushless controllers e.g. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01175A.pdf
  • gmarchesegmarchese Posts: 30
    edited 2010-10-10 23:33
    Ken -

Jesuit Robotics (parallax sponsors us) used these: http://www.himodel.com/electric/Seaking-60A_Waterproof_Brushless_ESC_for_Boats_W_water-cooling_system.html on our underwater robot last year. The only difficult part with these is that a full reverse signal is required to send them in reverse. for example: to go half speed reverse, you have to send a full seed reverse signal for about a second, then send it the value you want.
  • gmarchesegmarchese Posts: 30
    edited 2010-10-11 07:14
    Also, If you need any help with electronics / mechanics of your project, feel free to email / pm me. I am the head of electronics and programming at Jesuit Robotics, and we have other students that are knowledgable in H2O robotics
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-27 06:37
    Hello Ken,

Have you looked at any of the controllers made by RoboteQ? It looks like they may have something that would work for your project:

http://www.roboteq.com/

Robert
  • rhuggrhugg Posts: 14
    edited 2011-04-12 05:26
    Hi Ken, we are building something similar for a research project in the Arctic. Our approach is to use two Minkota endura 30 motors (about $100 each). AFter some looking into building our own, we decided on the >30amp motor controllers from the Open Source project at Robotpower. The system uses two motors to steer rather than a rudder, and at the expense of power, great manoverability. A propellor-based acquisition system (probably several props) handle the GPS, sub bottom profiler, CTD, bathimetry and GPS. The requirement is for this system to be lowered by helicopter, left for a couple of days, then meet it at a pre-agreed upon location, after it has visited preprogrammed way points.

I'm in the Bay area and need to come to Sac sometime soon. I would be happy to drop by if you would like to chat.
    -Rob