Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Penguin Robots — Parallax Forums

Penguin Robots

logan996logan996 Posts: 281
edited 2010-12-01 09:44 in Robotics
Hi parallax users, this is a question more directed to parallax but is a question a lot of us have been waiting for, When will we be able to get a penguin to rework? Will they be free? Pricing? how soon? I'm itching to try one and then let my brother try it (so he too can get interested in electronics)

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-10-14 22:54
    Did you have these questions answered?
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-10-15 07:06
    umm not really. no
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-15 07:15
    I'd like to have the opportunity to buy a couple Penguin robots to rework/rehabilitate too.

Robert
    edited 2010-10-15 07:33
    Contact Parallax by phone or email, let them know how many Penguins you want, ask for the details, see what they offer. Let us know your results.

The projects you can do with these little cute robots is amazing. My recent project was a Parallax Penguin as a data logger. I carried my Penguin robot around China and then it reported back its travel location, altitude, time, and other variables from GPS satellites, using a Parallax GPS device. Using Google Map, it could give an approximate fix on where I was located.

Another project is a Penguin text messaging program. The new Penguin can create text of the entire English alphabet and all numbers plus some punctuation.

Connected to an earlier project, two penguins can text message back and forth using their wireless on-board capabilities. Penguins are awesome!

Now it has an extra port. With an $8 chip, Penguin can have the power of speech! (in addition to Penguinese) or... use the chip to add on 32 ports and rule the world!
  • WolfbrotherWolfbrother Posts: 129
    edited 2010-10-15 18:19
    I talked to Sales this week, it turns out that they are still working on what's going to happen with Penguins that are still in stock, but the rework kit is not complete yet. I didn't think to ask, but there may be a waiting list. I had to order other parts and couldn't wait.
    edited 2010-10-17 03:52
    I talked to Sales this week, it turns out that they are still working on what's going to happen with Penguins that are still in stock, but the rework kit is not complete yet. I didn't think to ask, but there may be a waiting list. I had to order other parts and couldn't wait.
    I think it takes a bit more time, - they're wiring up the prop coprocessor chip with 32 more I/O pins for inclusion. :) Let's hope everyone can get their Penguins in time for Christmas.
    edited 2010-11-15 14:07
    Has anyone heard anything about when these Penguins might become available or has the project gone away?
    edited 2010-11-23 22:15
    Has anyone heard anything about when these Penguins might become available or has the project gone away?
    The project is still on the table and waiting for Ken who has other food on his plate, however the remaining problem is 4-inch Penguin is too small and was overlooked day after day, week after week and month after month. If he was was big and over-towering like a giant Japanese Gundam robot, you can bet he would get his way & go in the limelight immediately. It's a real pity because 59-foot tall Gundam is actually a cousin to Penguin and getting all the credit. You can read the latest news and see the resemblance here. We are all lucky so far that Penguin did not use his super powers adversely to get his way or all Hell would break loose at Parallax, as evidenced here.
    edited 2010-11-25 19:16
    Ok, thanks for the link, now that article inspires a new piece of artwork. I'll post you a PM when I get it a little more defined.

Cheers,

Dave
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2010-12-01 09:03

I have asked about them several times - absolutely no response whatsoever! Gone away sounds likely!
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-12-01 09:44
    Ken mentions that they will be getting more attention after the initial S2 rush in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125461&page=2