Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scrolling 14 Segment Display — Parallax Forums

Scrolling 14 Segment Display

GorillaGorilla Posts: 16
edited 2010-10-11 07:37 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to make a scrolling display using kingbright .56" common anode 14 segment alphanumeric displays.

I have 4 anodes connected to pins 0-3 on the mainio and the 14 cathodes connected to 0-13 on the auxio

I need a little help with the code.

Comments

• RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-10-09 08:28
    We probably can't be of much help, until we know more about the display. Is it a single digit/character display or is it more than that? What kind of communication does the display use? Is it a simple alphanumeric display?
  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 16
    edited 2010-10-11 00:43
    I am using Kingbright Common Anode .56 inch 7 segment displays.

I have written a program to display the message "I Love You" on the displays.

However I have run into a problem and need help.

View this video

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i372/meeagorilla/Basic%20Stamp%20Projects/?action=view&current=VID00012-20101011-0211.mp4

When the message gets to the word love and the word You it is so fast that it doesn't stay on the display long enough! If I increase the pause time the refresh rate goes down, if I decrease the pause time the refresh rate increases and persistence of vision allows us to see the word love as a complete word but it only lasts on the display for a second. I need help holding the word love on the display long enough to be viewable!
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-10-11 07:37
    Try putting the whole word "Love" in a For-Next so that it will repeat the message several times and then after a certain time interval it will exit the loop and move on to the next word. Maybe something like this(This is not real code)

do
    For var = 0 to 200
    {Add your code for the word "I" here}
    next
    var = 0
    For var = 0 to 200
    {Add your code for the word "love" here}
    next
    var = 0
    For var = 0 to 200
    {add your code for the word "you" here}
    next
    loop

The For-next loop should last long enough so you can see the words appear. You will have to work on the timing for the display